NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 120 posts (165 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 54 posts (93 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 43 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 41 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AynRandFan with 34 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 363,423 views
    2. thumb_up 802 thanks given
    3. group 145 followers
    1. forum 1,059 posts
    2. attach_file 65 attachments

Search this Thread

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Tarkus11 
East Coast

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 55
Thanks Received: 80

Ben16JP2 View Post
Thanks Fat Tails,
I have contacted NT Support.
One thing that is odd is that I can e-mail NT Support, but I am unable to get to their website [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]www.[AUTOLINK]ninjatrader[/AUTOLINK].com[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT], and I still have an “A grade” on the ping test.

Might be a DNS problem. Try changing your router to another DNS (like Google's free 8.8.8.8)

Off-hours you might want to try running NameBench.
https://code.google.com/archive/p/namebench

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
use extra computer for optimisation
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

Ben16JP2 
New York, United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader,TradeStation
Broker: Optimus/Rithmic
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 179
Thanks Received: 33

Update:

It turned out to be the firewall on my modem.

My internet provider was able to fix it.

I thought firewalls were just on computers, I had no idea that modems had them too.

I learned something new today.

Thanks for all the suggestions above and the previous page.

PeterOhlson 
Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader 7
Trading: Stocks
Thanks Given: 36
Thanks Received: 61

Never had any problems with NT. Most of the crashes I experienced with NT have been due to running out of memory, after upgrading to 64bit operative system + 8GB ram that isn't an issue anymore.

Overall I think it's the best program out there. The part I like most is that it uses C#, which IMO gives almost endless opportunities compared to EasyLanguage and various other languages.

Thanked by:
 timefreedom 
Indianapolis, IN USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninjatrader TOS Custom
Broker: Several
Trading: ES CL ZB
Thanks Given: 226
Thanks Received: 381

PeterOhlson View Post
Never had any problems with NT. Most of the crashes I experienced with NT have been due to running out of memory, after upgrading to 64bit operative system + 8GB ram that isn't an issue anymore.

Overall I think it's the best program out there. The part I like most is that it uses C#, which IMO gives almost endless opportunities compared to EasyLanguage and various other languages.

Totally agree with every point made. Many of the Ninjatrader issues seem to involve backtesting strategies, improperly coded custom indicators, or older computers running older operating systems. C# compared to EasyLanguage is like an Aston Martin compared to a Yugo.

Thanked by:

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,103

Fat Tails View Post
First of all, the two bugs that I had identified have been addressed with the release NT 7.0.1000.5. When I wrote my first post, I was not aware that a new overload had been added, which solves the problem.

Secondly that overload can also be used outside of OnBarUpdate() and works fine as tested.

Nobody is perfect, so I do not mind to post it here.

I will gradually replace all Session indicators in the download section. This includes CurrentOHL, SessionPivots, VWAP, RollingPivots, VolatilityBands, NoiseBands and OpeningRange indicators. The new versions V32 will use the new signature of GetNextBeginEnd(), so they will not run on all prior versions of NinjaTrader. You will need to install NT 7.0.1000.5.

The update is only necessary, if you use the indicator on shorter period tick, range, volume or Renko charts (charts built from ticks). The problem is caused by tick built bars, which have the same time stamp as the session open.

Thanks again to Josh from NinjaTrader support, who helped me understand the changes that were made.

The solution suggested to use GetNextBeginEnd() outside OnBarUpdate() did not work in the end. The Session Indicators V32, which I had published so far (SessionPivots, CurrentOHL, OpeningRange) do not always show up as expected, but sometimes leave the chart empty. The problem I experienced was that CurrentBar occasionally returned the value 1 instead of the real value, so the conversion of the values from the new signature of GetNextBeginEnd() did not work as expected.

So I finally used the old signature of GetNextBeginEnd() in Plot() Override and the new signature in OnBarUpdate().
This seems to work now, but everybody who has upgraded to SessionPivotsV32, CurrentOHLV32 and OpeningRangeV32 should upgrade to V33 now, which I will make available today.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanked by:
 eman 
Galveston ,TX

Platform: NT7
Broker: Zaner
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 364
Thanks Received: 435

PeterOhlson View Post

i concur.

i have been using NinjaTrader since 2008 and enjoy finding new ways to push it to the edge of the envelope. that (for me) is much easier done via C# and the power of the .NET libraries.

cheers,
-e

Thanked by:

monpere 
Bala, PA, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus, IB
Trading: SPY, Oil, Euro
Thanks Given: 300
Thanks Received: 3,372

eman View Post
i concur.

i have been using NinjaTrader since 2008 and enjoy finding new ways to push it to the edge of the envelope. that (for me) is much easier done via C# and the power of the .NET libraries.

cheers,
-e

Agreed. I may gripe about bugs here and there which are annoying. But the strength of the product to me is the customizations I can do with C# to personally support my trading. Even though 90% of that customization is outside the realm of supportability by NT support, that is ok with me. There is no other product out there that could customize my trading to the extent that NT can.

Next thing NT needs to do is add some additional functionality and features to what originally put them on the map, their ATM functionality. It has been too long without any new features added there. I would personally like to see c# programmable share/contract size, and unlimited target and stop steps instead of being limited to 3. And how about re-architecting so that strategies can share charts with chart trader.

NickA 
London

Experience: None
Platform: MC & Ninja mainly
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 50

PeterOhlson View Post

Really it's the architecture that is more important when it comes to limitations on what you can do. What you use to program/script is simply a matter of learning syntax. (Thats's leaving aside the managed framework debate). Whilst 7.0 is no doubt a huge improvement they really missed a golden opportunity to re-work stuff that prevents whole avenues of user development. I won't bleat on about that as it has been mentioned before in this thread, still hoping it finds its way into 7.5 and that 7.5 is reasonably soon

eman 
Galveston ,TX

Platform: NT7
Broker: Zaner
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 364
Thanks Received: 435

monpere View Post
Agreed. I may gripe about bugs here and there which are annoying. But the strength of the product to me is the customizations I can do with C# to personally support my trading. Even though 90% of that customization is outside the realm of supportability by NT support, that is ok with me. There is no other product out there that could customize my trading to the extent that NT can.

you said it better than i did

monpere View Post
Next thing NT needs to do is add some additional functionality and features to what originally put them on the map, their ATM functionality. It has been too long without any new features added there. I would personally like to see c# programmable share/contract size, and unlimited target and stop steps instead of being limited to 3. And how about re-architecting so that strategies can share charts with chart trader.

perhaps NT would accept a contribution from some its more ardent fans, thus making it fully supported in a future version? talk about community-love! why wouldn't they want to incorporate that into their ecosystem?

cheers,
-e

CMant1
Vero Beach, FL

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 2

I have used NT for over 3 years maybe more. I run this off my XP OS.
I don't see any issues with this software. I just recently upgraded to the 7 version of NT
I was amazed it went fine. Except I had to download new indicators.

I also this morning downloaded on a Vista OS this AM. Now looking for a feed to run off this box.
This is the free version of NT I have used.
I use to be able to run two NT at once but not anymore off my feed darn.
Thats how I came across Big Mikes Forum looking for a Data Feed.

I recently looked at Trigerpoint Trading software.

Have A Great Day,
Cliff

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts