NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 120 posts (165 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 54 posts (93 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 43 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 41 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AynRandFan with 34 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 363,043 views
    2. thumb_up 802 thanks given
    3. group 145 followers
    1. forum 1,059 posts
    2. attach_file 65 attachments

Search this Thread

The Truth: NinjaTrader

rogerf 
Victoria, TX

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futrues, Zen-Fire, IQFeed, Kinetick
Trading: 6E, CL, GC

Although I agree about the advantage of using 64 bit NT7, for now it's only eye candy. The only way to execute real $$ live trades to your broker in NT7 is by using Zen-Fire (I call it Shoot-Fire) and Zen doesn't support 64 bit yet...only 32. Nothing on their website indicates any inclination to take advantage of 64 bit anytime in the forseeable future.

Roger Felton

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

aslan 
Madison, WI

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ALT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 356
Thanks Received: 1,127

rogerf View Post
Although I agree about the advantage of using 64 bit NT7, for now it's only eye candy. The only way to execute real $$ live trades to your broker in NT7 is by using Zen-Fire (I call it Shoot-Fire) and Zen doesn't support 64 bit yet...only 32. Nothing on their website indicates any inclination to take advantage of 64 bit anytime in the forseeable future.

Roger Felton

Yeah, I just made the jump to Win 7 64-bit, and it is nice, but I also noticed the lack of Zen 64-bit. Unfortunately, 64-bit Zenfire is something that will cause the NT guys to "re-write our Zen-Fire adapter which is about a three month project from start to finish". Shocking.

NetTecture 
Szczecin

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninja, writing own now

Actually not that simple. THe problem is that there is no zen-fire adapter... the functionality in there is the Rithmic adapter (no joke - well, actuall as zen-fire is basically using the rithmic platform it makes sense), and that is a pure C++ library. There is a C# adapter, but it is basically using the C++ library, too, as far as I know.

As the C++ library is 32 bit only.... this means that the whole process has to be 32 bit. The moment Rithmic provides a well written 64 bit library set, it should be a matter of a day to make a 64 bit compile, but it leaves Ninja with the problem of then loading ANOTHER dll in the 64 bit process - like with all native components.

The way I am going around that in Tradex (My platform - and I am right now cleaning up that part of the code, actually) is by NOT CONNECTING IN IT Ninja should have done the same.

Basically, if you open a connection, a separate program is started (no user interface, jsut a process) that loads the connector. THere are currently 2 hosts exe files that can be started - a 32 bit and a 64 bit one. THey are REALLY simple (one line of code) - all the code is in a shared "any cpu" dll. But they make sure I can start the host as needed in 32 or 64 bit mode. The connection host then communicates with a coordination service using named pipes. THere are multiple advantages - like for example I can theoretically restart the program without loosing data, as they are decoubpled (and data is cached). It also means I am more safe in my main program - RIthmic code in theory can crash a .NET application based on being native code. Never had that (RIthmic is well written), but this way I dont have to wonder whether a memory leak in a big app comes from me or some native code

Anyhow, like so many other applications Ninja went the cheapo way (like so often) and loads the connector in memory. The 32 / 64 bit woes they face now basically are the price they pay. This one - contrary to many blatantly stupid and ignorant things they do - is actually one I can not really blame them for. Let's just hope RIthmic goes 64 bit soonish not that I will use that then (the connector itself does little - I rather have mine running in 32 bit whenever possible).

cporretti
toluca lake,ca

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

AynRandFan View Post
This is going to be a different kind of post. A different kind of thread. Mike, in fact, might not want it here, but I'm going to put it here, because it needs to be here, and what I have to say needs to be said.

I have just removed NinjaTrader from my computer. Literally, I am done with it. I will not ever be using it ever again. I spent close to $500 buying indicators for it, and that's money wasted, as well.

The sad truth is that NinjaTrader is an unstable piece of junk. I truly wish that it wasn't a piece of junk -- really, I do. The non-stop freezing, the constant hang-ups, the complete inability of NinjaTrader to deal with any meaningful amount of tick data... all of these are deal-breakers for me.

They should also be deal-breakers for you.

Look, I run a very powerful system, here. Quad-core, 8GB of RAM, multiple monitors, cross-fired video cards, my own UPS (uninterruptable power supply) -- some of the most demanding Engineering software in the world doesn't crash my system -- but NinjaTrader somehow manages to crash itself constantly.

Listen to me:

When it comes to managing your own real money, I don't see how it can even be debated that platform stability is essential. I can not trust NinjaTrader to even run correctly -- let alone entrust it to trade for me.

The truth is that you can't trust it, either.

And if you've used it enough, you know it.

Those of you who are thinking about using NinjaTrader to automatize trading for you need to really think twice -- no joke, here. The "software" NinjaTrader sells is, in my opinion, the junkiest, buggiest, piece of amateurish crap I've seen in quite some time -- maybe all the way back to the spreadsheets of the 1980's. If I had purchased it, I would literally file a suit at law to obtain my money back -- and not because I even care about the money: this junk they're selling is pure garbage.

You, as a trader, deserve better. And you should NOT settle for this kind of shoddy, second-rate crap to trade with.

Mike, thanks for creating a very cool forum here, and thanks for all the free indicators and advice. It's a very cool thing you've put together here for everybody, no question about it.

But the sad truth is that NinjaTrader, as a platform, isn't worthy of all of this effort.

It's junk.

I am finding out the hard way that this statement about ninjatrader is true, it crashes all the time for me

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

cporretti View Post
I am finding out the hard way that this statement about ninjatrader is true, it crashes all the time for me

Is your crashing experience with NT6.5 or NT7beta ?

Lolu

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Mindset 
Singapore

Platform: NT
Broker: ib
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 291

There is a lot of criticism of NT here - most of which is fairly geeky - which means I don't really understand it.
However can someone say what is better for the retail trader then?

I used to use Ts and that is flawed, I can now code adequately in C# and NT 7 really isn't that bad (IMHO) but I am always prepared to find better if someone can point the way.

Oh and if you want true 64bit NT - use the IB connector - works fine.

NetTecture 
Szczecin

Platform: Ninja, writing own now

There is nothing better, at least at the moment (hmpf, I need to really write my investor pitch for Tradex now). I work on something, but - that is a year away from being retail ready (though I will start publishing something for download in a month or so - usable for SIMPLE trading).

IB has it's opwn share of problems, btw. - the IB connector is pretty crappy by itself. Price data is "distortet" so to say. It is good enough for a lot of things, though, that I grant you

Mindset 
Singapore

Platform: NT
Broker: ib
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 291

Appreciate the response NetTecture.
I understand that IB is reasonably crappy as it 'aggregates' the data every half second I believe but apart from that I have found it to be very robust over the last 5 years.
If ZenFire would support more exchanges eg SOFFEX then I would switch tomorrow :-)

rogerf 
Victoria, TX

Experience: Master
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futrues, Zen-Fire, IQFeed, Kinetick
Trading: 6E, CL, GC

No platform is perfect, but that's the age we live in. There are high dollar platforms such as CQG that are very stable and fast. Personally, I trade with NinjaTrader. I have a dedicated "trading only" computer (i7 CPU and 8 gigs of RAM) that has no other software installed other than antivirus and firewall protection plus System Mechanic. It is maintained and backed up daily. I have had very few problems using NinjaTrader that I would not expect to experience on any other platform. Since I installed Ninja 7 and IQFeed data, I have had zero problems with data freezes or order execution. I'm very pleased.

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

rogerf View Post
No platform is perfect, but that's the age we live in. There are high dollar platforms such as CQG that are very stable and fast. Personally, I trade with NinjaTrader. I have a dedicated "trading only" computer (i7 CPU and 8 gigs of RAM) that has no other software installed other than antivirus and firewall protection plus System Mechanic. It is maintained and backed up daily. I have had very few problems using NinjaTrader that I would not expect to experience on any other platform. Since I installed Ninja 7 and IQFeed data, I have had zero problems with data freezes or order execution. I'm very pleased.

roger,

Which Broker do you use for the Ninja 7/IQFeed combination ? I'd wanted this type of combination request from Ninja but I'm been restricted to NT/Zen-Fire combination and an NT/Zen-Fire based Broker.

Lolu

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts