NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 120 posts (165 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 54 posts (93 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 43 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 41 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AynRandFan with 34 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 362,651 views
    2. thumb_up 802 thanks given
    3. group 145 followers
    1. forum 1,059 posts
    2. attach_file 65 attachments

Search this Thread

The Truth: NinjaTrader

aviat72 
San Francisco Bay Area

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT,TOS,IB
Trading: ES,CL,TF
Thanks Given: 161
Thanks Received: 273

I have a script which backs up my workspaces and then calls NT.

I am attaching it.

I store the backup workspaces in $MYDOC/NTWS/Startup directory which you should create (or edit the script).

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: NTBak.zip
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

lookOutBelow
San Francisco, CA

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 19

I posted earlier about how few problems I've had with NT. Now, I'm having problems with some of my more recent strategies. Figures.

They all revolve around backtesting. The results from backtesting the same date versus live trading that date and even downloading "Market Replay" data can be quite a bit different from one another. Not only $$, but number of trades and entry/exit times can be completely off.

Is/has anyone experienced big differences (more than merely slippage) between results of backtesting and live trading (with calculate on bar close true)? I'm using tick charts on this particular strategy that is causing so many headaches.

Jura   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,352
Thanks Received: 690

Mindset View Post
The problem with backtesting is simple - it is very very very difficult to adjust your strategy for all of the possible outcomes that may come your way/ software errors ( some of which I have only discovered today after 6 years of trading!)/ network issues,power outtages, error issues, etc , etc
I spent 2 years backtesting and gave up. i trade profitably most days.
The main reason I gave up is that there is always something else that you have forgotten or worse the Donald Rumsfeld glitch - the know unknowns and worse the unknown unknowns.
Now I forward test on sim - ie do the trades, make notes and then study the statistical outcome.
no faking - takes ages but is mostly reliable and genuine.

The one area I think that backtesting works for is something extremely definable like gaps. But don't do the work yourself - others are way ahead of you and for a small price you can let them simply give you the results ( see shodsnons journal for an example). Remember there are traders and then there are backtesters - very rarely do you see both (IMHO).

Just my 10c - others will violently disagree with me. And that is what makes a market

Thanks for your insightful comment Mindset. It seems to me that I am too much looking for the Holy Grail, not in a incredible profitable strategy, but in a 'perfect' or 'even better' backtest software tool, with even more gimmicks. :P

Thanks again.

Regards,

rgaind 
Teaneck,NJ

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Ninja
Trading: oil
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 9

Does anyone know when NT Ver 7 will be OUT of Beta.

I am between a rock and a hard place. I have most of my indicators and strategies coded in Tradestation and others in Ninja ( because it was supposed to be the next best thing to sliced bread)

So now - I am running two computers side by side with two different data feeds. I only use Ninja for the longer term confirmation stuff but I would like to make the switch one way or the other

I am also looking for a few people who trade crude. I was a floor broker or many years and I am making a transition to a computer ( a different world)

I was thinking that I can share certain insights into the way "things work" and provide a floor traders eye along side some other people who are more technical traders

I live on the East Coast and trade starting 7-8 AM through the close

thanks

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,246
Thanks Received: 101,669

Assuming they do an RC2 before going to final, I would say end of November. But it could be tomorrow, there is no telling. The original NT7 was due out December 2008, then June 2009, and etc etc etc... if I recall.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 Treggs 
Working on my LCD tan

Platform: NinjaTrader
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 52

Big Mike View Post
Assuming they do an RC2 before going to final, I would say end of November. But it could be tomorrow, there is no telling. The original NT7 was due out December 2008, then June 2009, and etc etc etc... if I recall.

Mike

Mike, I was told by NT sales that NT7 would be the "production release" in November. Only 2 years late....

I like NT7 but they need to keep the momentum going or they will loose this customer.

MetalTrade 

The way they had to work true 22 beta's so far on a period of 2+ years to release a 'release candidate' says enough.

I released many software versions of many products in C, C++, J2EE and ASM. There is no release that needed 2 years to bugfix. Even not the programs with teams of over 40 programmers and more than 10million lines of code.

It's just another proof of how incompetent their programmers are. And we are running it to make money ?

MWinfrey 
Lubbock TX

Broker: Stage 5 Trading
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 1,450
Thanks Received: 3,335

rgaind View Post
Does anyone know when NT Ver 7 will be OUT of Beta.

I am between a rock and a hard place. I have most of my indicators and strategies coded in Tradestation and others in Ninja ( because it was supposed to be the next best thing to sliced bread)

So now - I am running two computers side by side with two different data feeds. I only use Ninja for the longer term confirmation stuff but I would like to make the switch one way or the other

I am also looking for a few people who trade crude. I was a floor broker or many years and I am making a transition to a computer ( a different world)

I was thinking that I can share certain insights into the way "things work" and provide a floor traders eye along side some other people who are more technical traders

I live on the East Coast and trade starting 7-8 AM through the close

thanks

I can help you get your indicators converted to nt if you want. I also trade crude.

Mike Winfrey

MetalTrade 

Zephyr View Post
What are you using now? I NEED CHART TRADING. It works best for my trading style.

I would advise SIERRACHARTS, they have some sort of dom, and they have a chart trader. And they don't drop packets and they are stable and fast.

David 
UK

Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 35
Thanks Received: 84

MetalTrade View Post
I would advise SIERRACHARTS, they have some sort of dom, and they have a chart trader. And they don't drop packets and they are stable and fast.

I'm currently testing both MultiCharts and SierraCharts.

I'm not getting on very well with MultiCharts and don't like their programming language much, but SierraCharts seems to be really good. I'm constantly surprised how quickly the charts load and indicators respond, after my three years experience with NT.

I also like the C++ programming and small footprint of SierraCharts and so far it seems to be rock solid. For autotrading it seems to be the best of breed and only costs $40 per month.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts