NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Truth: NinjaTrader

Discussion in NinjaTrader

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Fat Tails with 120 posts (165 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 54 posts (93 thanks)
    3. looks_3 MetalTrade with 43 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ZTR with 41 posts (25 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one AynRandFan with 34 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 1.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Fat Tails with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 NinjaTrader with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 363,043 views
    2. thumb_up 802 thanks given
    3. group 145 followers
    1. forum 1,059 posts
    2. attach_file 65 attachments

Search this Thread

The Truth: NinjaTrader

NickA 
London

Experience: None
Platform: MC & Ninja mainly
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 50

gregid View Post
I don't think that's exactly what sefstrat meant.

I would like to challenge your statement as I think it would be arrogant to claim they lack coding skills at NT. Besides looking at the history of NT Support Forum that's exactly what they did so far: hired most active and prolific users of the NT

What they do seem to lack is proper design and implementation process and for this the suggested external consultant would be the solution (as suggested by sefstrat)

That is the problem. They have failed to understand what is required at the design stage and made a couple of howlers. I think they are only just realising it now. Raymond has decided that some things should not be changed at this stage. An obvious one is truncating time stamps to 1 second when storing historical data. Sadly I think that the correct decision is the tougher one. Papering over cracks seldom ends well.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

ZTR 

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader7
Broker: Mirus RCG/Zen-Fire
Trading: CL & 6e, looking at ES, ZB and AU again.
Thanks Given: 1,099
Thanks Received: 1,393

I am Mac ignorant. On a PC I mean click the left mouse button when holding the Ctrl Key with the cursor on the Right Y-axis and any chart I've tried moves up and down. It really make things easier with the Ladder Charts.

I hope I've answered your question. Somehow I remember Macs having just one button, but it has been years since I touched one.
lolu View Post
ZTrade,

What is the "Click" in Ctrl+Click ? If I know the "Click" then I can know what its equivalent is, on my MAC machine keyboard, 'cos I run my Windows XP on my Apple MAC machine in a Virtual (VMWare Fusion) environment. In any case, I use my mouse to just slide the vertical and horizontal axis to get a desirable scaling. Is this the same as using the Ctrl+Click ?

Lolu

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

ZTrade101 View Post
I am Mac ignorant. On a PC I mean click the left mouse button when holding the Ctrl Key with the cursor on the Right Y-axis and any chart I've tried moves up and down. It really make things easier with the Ladder Charts.

I hope I've answered your question. Somehow I remember Macs having just one button, but it has been years since I touched one.

ZTrade,

Yes, that answers my question. Left click on a MAC (MacBook) mouse is "Two fingers on the mouse pad plus the thumb on the mouse button".

So, I did the "Ctrl +Click" the MAC way, and I was even able to move panels 2 and/or 3 to the top of the main chart (panel 1); Very interesting.

Once again, thanks.

Lolu

gregid 
Wrocław, Poland

Platform: NinjaTrader, Racket
Trading: Ockham's razor
Thanks Given: 320
Thanks Received: 623

lolu View Post
Left click on a MAC (MacBook) mouse is "Two thumbs on the mouse pad plus a third thumb on the mouse button".

WOW! And now try to convince me that MAC's are easier to use!

OK, just kidding I don't really want to start another discussion about superiority of any platform - just found the above funny!

lolu 
Lagos, Nigeria
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, SierraChart
Trading: Euro Currency & Oil
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 1,049
Thanks Received: 1,678

gregid View Post
WOW! And now try to convince me that MAC's are easier to use!

OK, just kidding I don't really want to start another discussion about superiority of any platform - just found the above funny!

gregid,

This is for my version of MacBook (one year + old now) and because I prefer to use the mouse/mouse pad in-built (I don't use external mouse). And it is even seamlessly easy !

The new MacBook has easier mouse/mouse pad "clicking". Just placing one, or two fingers on the mouse pad achieves what you will need a combination of keyboard/mouse activities on PC. In any case, the normal Mac mouse (for desktop Mac or MacMini), which is the same as the PC mouse, has the same "clicking" features as PC mouse (may be even better).

Remember that Apple machines have always had mouse and GUI interface since its inception (way-back in 1980+), years before PC has the first mouse/GUI-based interface OS (the Windows 1.x OS).

Lolu

GoldStandard 
arizona

Platform: rolling my own
Trading: ES,CL,GC,6E
Thanks Given: 324
Thanks Received: 191

Latest response regarding bid/ask sequencing:

NinjaTrader Support Forum - View Single Post - BidAsk Historical...

"At this we have no plans nor commitments to disclose regarding this issue. "

Please take the time to politely let them know with a new thread or post in their support forum if this is important to you. If we keep raising the issue, and are not too confrontational about it, perhaps they will find a way to address it sooner.

Bondi9999 
sydney, nsw, australia

Platform: NinjaTrader, NeoTicker, Multicharts, InvestorRT
Broker: Mirus, IB, eSignal
Trading: ES, FESX, DAX, CCY
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 13

sefstrat View Post
I agree that NT is poorly managed, poorly written software. Unfortunately, however.. so are most other retail commercial trading platforms in my experience.

NT can be extremely frustrating to use at times, and especially when you first start using it, but I agree with Mike that once you learn its limitations you can work around them relatively easy in most cases.

You are absolutely right that it is dangerous to trust your money to buggy software, that is why it is essential to test *extensively* before trading with real money, regardless of what platform you are using.

IMO the only reason to consider NT over other platforms is if you are a programmer and need the flexibility of writing strategies in a real programming language rather than a limited scripting language, otherwise you are probably better off with MetaTrader or Multicharts.

Best tips for alleviating Ninja issues:
  • use 64bit OS with largeaddressaware fix
  • never use strategy analyzer on the same instance of Ninja you are trading live on, use virtual machines to run separate instances for development/testing
  • be careful with 3rd party indicators.. because ninja does not restrict your use of c# you can easily create indicators which will bring a machine to a crawl due to poor coding/poor resource management, I have seen this with many of the commercial indicators (especially KwikPop). Also a malicious user could easily compromise your machine with code executed in an indicator.. open source indicators like the ones on this forum are much safer (and just as good or better) than closed source commercial indicators. Don't fall prey to the marketing hype.

Hi Sefstrat,

I have a 64 bit operating system but am not able to use NT 6.5. As an alternative I have loaded VMWare and have a 32 bit operating system there on which I run NT. I am interested in the "largeaddresswarefix" you note in your post. Could you point me in the right direction to better understand how I might use the 64 bit OS.

Thanks

ZTR 

I don't know what has changed, but 7b9 no longer needs a reinstall after a crash. Most importantly, I can start a full workspace. I've sent everything to NT.

Really like the new charting features - That was well thought out.

Wonder if it will run until the close? If so will backup, check fragmentation, reboot and restart.

This is the best 7b9 has acted. Hope it stays like this for the next 2 weeks as I am not changing anything until then. Will do testing of Indicators for the Forum Download Section on my lap top using a single 5 min chart with only one indicator loaded at a time, for both 6.5 & 7b9.

ZTR 

Kept NT 7b9 running for 23.25 hours before stopping to do what I believe is necessary computer maintenance.

Strongly suggest defragging once a day, especially if running Gomi's or Zondor's recording indicators.

When having crashes. Start with a bare chart not an entire workspace, then add one indicator at a time, while connected to a data feed. See what indicator is causing NT to slow down or crash. If things are working keep adding indicators.. After each chart is complete save a workspace. If things go well like they finally did for me you will have a complete workspace saved and can test to see if it loads.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 03-10 (8192 Volume)  2_17_2010_hoursRun.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	8263  

cclsys 
Sydney, NS

Platform: Ninja
Broker: Zen-Fire
Trading: TF,S,GC
Thanks Given: 248
Thanks Received: 393

I had a bad day yesterday as well. And forgot to defrag over the weekend. Highly recommend 'Ultimate Defrag'. Many options. Fast.

Another suggestion: you can go through the Registry and move MyDocuments off the System partition to anywhere you want. Next time I install a new OS (perhaps soon), I make a partitition just for Ninja.

Right now defragging system partition and of 15 GIGS in there, over 9 were in fragmented files, I am sure a large amount of them Ninja-related. If you get that into its own little 5 GIG partition, it will be quicker to defrag and also not mess up other system files.

But thanks for the reminder.

Of old the skilled first made themselves invincible to await the enemy's vincibility.
Invincibility lies in oneself. Vincibility lies in the enemy.
Thus the skilled can make themselves invincible.
They cannot cause the enemy's vincibility.
Thus it is said: 'Victory can be known; it cannot be made.'

Last Updated on April 22, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts