NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Indicators/Strategy using Time Price Opportunity (TPO) Profile Charts


Discussion in EasyLanguage Programming

Updated
    1. trending_up 5,192 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 1 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
endothes
Orlando, FL
 
Posts: 1 since Feb 2021
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I am an experienced programmer looking to see if anyone has advice on which language/platform they would start a TPO based indicator/strategy in.

From my research, I have found the availability to program in C++, Java, or Python. I am fluent in all of them, but they come with their own ups and downs.

Python (InteractiveBroker API)
  • Python the fastest to develop with / get a prototype up and running, but from what I've heard on Sierra Charts Forums from the admins, Interactive brokers is not a reliable broker.
  • Python would also allow for easier backtesting of strategies.
C++ (Sierra Charts)
  • Their API has the most features.
  • C++ has Longer development times
  • Backtesting with Sierra Charts is a pain.
Java (MotiveWave)
  • Has a great SDK
  • Tools are a bit pricey.
If anyone has experience developing for any of these languages or platforms and has some advice on which direction they would go I would appreciate it.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 jmcli 
France
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SierraChart / Denali Feed
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: ES NQ DAX CL
Posts: 9 since Dec 2011
Thanks Given: 150
Thanks Received: 13

Hi endhotes,

First : I'm definetly not a programmer.
I have been trading thousands of round turns futures with Interactive Brokers for 20 years : absolutely reliable broker.
However it's true their feed is really suboptimal.
I use Sierra Chart for charting/trading: I found their Market Profile tools (TPO and Volume Profile) really good. Their Denali feed is fine.
For what it's worth, Investiquant offers basic TPO strategy backtesting (1:18):
.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:




Last Updated on February 21, 2021


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts