NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Dream Maker - From nothing to 100% pure day trading living

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one grahamg with 10 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two DarkPoolTrading with 2 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Cloudy with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Coast with 2 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one wldman with 17 thanks per post
    2. looks_two fminus with 9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 grahamg with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 10,428 views
    2. thumb_up 60 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 31 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Dream Maker - From nothing to 100% pure day trading living

Cloudy 
desert CA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

Your welcome GrahamG! Yes, it was fun to revisit that thread and the discussion that ensued after that post. Even the OP said a friend overlooking his shoulder commented it could have been done by a "word processor". Right.. like who would want to take the time to perpetrate such an elaborate hoax for a single post on a forum? (It's been said on other forums like ET that naysayers wouldn't believe statements anyways...)

I felt Loriley went out on a limb to inspire fellow members with hope, and am still appreciative of it although unfortunately it may have upset her privacy. She also mentioned how many hours of practice, use of common indicators found on futures.io (formerly BMT) etc. And who knows how well the same consistency can be maintained with so much change in the markets in recent years etc.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

wldman 
Chicago Illinois USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Broker: IB, ToS
Trading: /ES, US Equities/Options
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Hours
Thanks Given: 2,069
Thanks Received: 9,556

I'd tell you that I came to futures.io (formerly BMT) because I can't code. In the corporate world I was just "old" enough to have missed the boat educationally and I did not need to focus there because the firm had someone for that. So as a sole prop I was/am totally dependent on others to transform concepts into "code".

So, everyone comes to futures.io (formerly BMT) to fulfill a need. Everyone is searching for something. The platform here was perfect for me because I never intended a return to trading. The other guys in the Chicago collaborative made a great deal of fun pointing out that wldman is cruising the chat room. Those guys just said, "hire someone for that". Sure enough that would be easy, but my idea has always been that trading revenue should support trading operations. At the time, I did not realize I'd be sucked back in. I was doing about 30-40 trades a year, mostly buy-writes on dividend plays.

What started to emerge, in my mind anyway, was that there was a certain type of communication that could happen here that goes under the firm trader/sloe prop radar. I did/do find really valuable contribution here. In life, you are supposed to return value where value is received. Sometimes that is very difficult...and for various reasons.

In my opinion, and it is one strongly rooted in reality, the goal of trading riches is no different than the goal of batting clean up for the Yankees. As kids we all, or most of us anyway, would play out the backyard fantasy of becoming our real life hero. As a kid I put a duct tape goal on my parents garage. From October to April I'd launch pucks at that garage door for hours every day. The prelude to each shot was along the lines of," Hull gets the puck, across the neutral zone, beats a man, has room, he shoots, SCORE ! Bobby Hull and the Blackhawks have won the Stanley Cup."

My family was not a hockey family. We could not afford the gear or the ice time. I bought my first pair of skates when I was 21 years old. I was a division 1AA football athlete and as such not suited with typical hockey attributes but I joined an org called Hockey North America. I entered the"novice" division...the first session actually focused on lacing and tying skates. On the ice, I quickly realized that my best association with this great game will be as a life long fan

So, when you consider the field...those interested in trading... it is only natural for people to focus on the highest level. Attributes aside, so few are actually committed to "doing what it takes" , not to be elite, but rather to just be the best that they can be. So I say this NOT as the Wayne Gretzky of trading, but rather as a guy that, one time, for a short period, had a cup of coffee stint in the same building. It is so frustrating to see guys chasing all kinds myths and crazy stuff, doing all kids of sophisticated testing and programming, searching for the secrets while missing almost all of what is important and right in front of them. This game, first and foremost, is a psychological/emotional response to an unforeseen, uncontrollable random condition.

I suggest to guys all the time that they arrange their mind to trading NOT arrange trading to their mind.

So I think I agree that the top, "say" quintile trader, one than makes lower to mid six figures, does not spend a great deal of time looking for answers on the internet or in books or asking advice from others. I have seen on occasion, where a guy like that offers something that will help others in futures.io (formerly BMT) and he is immediately bid back with stuff like "show your trailing 12" or show your statement and equity curve. AGAIN, right mountain, wrong path.

So when I was a kid ripping pucks into my dads garage door...I'f Bobby Hull where to have pulled up in a car and got out with Stan Mikita and a bag of sticks is the best thing for me to say, "Mr. Hull, could I see your driver's license and your career stats?" Or, do I pass him the puck and watch what he does with it?

There are really brilliant guys contributing to futures.io (formerly BMT). Arrange your mind to trading and watch what they do. Maybe?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on April 28, 2013

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts