NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Micromanaging Trades


Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one teamtc247 with 4 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 2 posts (6 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Turveyd with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 2,450 views
    2. thumb_up 6 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 9 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
 
teamtc247's Avatar
 teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia
Master Mistake Maker
 
Experience: None
Posts: 980 since Dec 2012
Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116

Does anyone have any tips on not micromanaging trades, set and forget or sit on hands and watch? I can typically see the larger target, but I end up taking the smaller target getting caught up on the one minute (sometimes I have to depending on the setup) and all the ups and downs. I find myself wanting to trail and lock profits in or often once prices moves a few points bring to break even(bad habit). I know the simple answer is just sit on my hands. Maybe I’ve answered my own question; any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the input.


Process oriented goals #1.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 nightshade 
canton mi
 
Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninja xtrader
Trading: tf, es
Posts: 230 since Jan 2014
Thanks Given: 328
Thanks Received: 146



teamtc247 View Post
Does anyone have any tips on not micromanaging trades, set and forget or sit on hands and watch? I can typically see the larger target, but I end up taking the smaller target getting caught up on the one minute (sometimes I have to depending on the setup) and all the ups and downs. I find myself wanting to trail and lock profits in or often once prices moves a few points bring to break even(bad habit). I know the simple answer is just sit on my hands. Maybe I’ve answered my own question; any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the input.

Use order flow that's the only way other wise you are guessing
Unless you use a trailing stop which tends to be late


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
 
Big Mike's Avatar
 Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader
 R.I.P. 1977-2026 
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Posts: 50,669 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 33,669
Thanks Received: 102,590

Trade a bigger time frame/chart and a smaller size. Trade "I don't care" size.

Mike




We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)
 
teamtc247's Avatar
 teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia
Master Mistake Maker
 
Experience: None
Posts: 980 since Dec 2012
Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116


Big Mike View Post
Trade a bigger time frame/chart and a smaller size. Trade "I don't care" size.

Mike

I typically time on a smaller time frame a one minute and look for my areas of entry and exit on a larger time frame say 5,15, and 60. So essentially I should just be sitting on my hands not getting caught up in the ebb and flow of the one minute chart.


Process oriented goals #1.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)
 
Big Mike's Avatar
 Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader
 R.I.P. 1977-2026 
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Posts: 50,669 since Jun 2009
Thanks Given: 33,669
Thanks Received: 102,590

Watch Dr. Brett's webinar on nexusfi.com (formerly BMT):



Mike




We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)
Turveyd
Birmingham UK
 
Posts: 336 since May 2014
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 64

When I ever I switch to leave it on, like all runs will go 50+ pips then I find all my trades get to +10 or even +20 then go back to the SL.

I take either on other side of the range, or on quick extensions which likely reverse.

The fact of the matter is, very few trades run more than 10-20pips these days, take what on offer and say thanks and repeat.



shame a bunch of 50+ runs would be just what the doctor ordered!


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)
 
teamtc247's Avatar
 teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia
Master Mistake Maker
 
Experience: None
Posts: 980 since Dec 2012
Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116

For the most part I get it. It's just me. I guess this was just one of those dumb questions. I was looking for the magic answer lol. It's crazy because I think new traders or doubtful traders are looking for the magic Kool aid. Just taking the lickens and learn from them is the only way. I need to stop doubting. @Big Mike Thanks for the reply.


Process oriented goals #1.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)
 
kickmic's Avatar
 kickmic 
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader + Gomicators
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: 6A
Posts: 281 since May 2011
Thanks Given: 57
Thanks Received: 343

not sure what you are trading and trade size, but one way some traders deal with this is to take partial profits on a smaller time frame, and leave the rest for the larger time frame.

You have to test this over a large sample size to see if it is effective for you.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)
 
teamtc247's Avatar
 teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia
Master Mistake Maker
 
Experience: None
Posts: 980 since Dec 2012
Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116



kickmic View Post
not sure what you are trading and trade size, but one way some traders deal with this is to take partial profits on a smaller time frame, and leave the rest for the larger time frame.

You have to test this over a large sample size to see if it is effective for you.

Trading one car. I will increase increments for every 5k.


Process oriented goals #1.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote




Last Updated on July 3, 2014


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts