NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Understanding profit calculations when buying PUT


Discussion in Options

Updated
    1. trending_up 1,763 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
SunBlaster
Vancouver, BC
 
Posts: 2 since Jan 2015
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Hey Folks,

I am super new to options, and trading in general, I have a question on profit calculations when buying a PUT. I am using optionsprofitcalculator.com (not trying promote, hope it's ok to post). I am buying a put option on NFLX at $150 strike price @ $.017 expiring on March 20, 2015. Now I understand I make profit if the stock price falls below my strike price of $150 however the calculator I am using says that I can make a profit above my strike price, this is where I get confused, why does it show profit above strike price?

In my example I am using the following:

Option Buy Long put @ 20th Mar $150.00
Price per option:$0.17
Contracts:# 1 x 100
Total cost:$17

Expiry:2015-03-20
Strike price:$150.00
IV (implied volatility): 73.438


Here is one example from the calculation:

Detail: $325 on 8th Jan 2015
Trades to close position No. Price Total
sell 20th Mar $150.00 Put 1x100 $0.21 $21.00
Initial outlay $-17.00
Total: $4.00


Any input is welcomed

SunBlaster


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
SunBlaster
Vancouver, BC
 
Posts: 2 since Jan 2015
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0


I think I've answered my own question, if I own a PUT options as stock price goes down over time my options appriciate hence I could resell them for profit . I don't necessary have to exerciser my options even if they are in the money, I could resell them

I am pretty sure I am right on this?

Thanks for looking


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on January 8, 2015


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts