NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Account blown up

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JacLau with 12 posts (46 thanks)
    2. looks_two grausch with 10 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 10 posts (150 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 8 posts (13 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 22 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 15 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 grausch with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 JacLau with 3.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 38,132 views
    2. thumb_up 733 thanks given
    3. group 55 followers
    1. forum 155 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Account blown up

Okina 
montreal quebec/canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: CQG/NT7
Broker: IB/AMP/CQG
Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 758
Thanks Received: 5,464

It is great to read those posts. Lot of learning here.

The only 3 general advice that come to my mind are :

1 - when you enter a trade you can't know for sure what to expect but you must know for sure what you don't want to see. If you see that exit don't wait.

2 - never enter a trade without a stop loss. It is an urban legend that the market is chasing stop loss order.

3 - never use your stop loss as an exit strategy. Your stop loss is like the airbag in your car. It makes you safer to have one but it not a reason to drive your car directly in the wall.

if you follow this 3 rules you won't be rich but at least you won't blow your account.

R.I.P. Olivier Terrier (aka "Okina"), 1969-2016.
Please visit this thread for more information.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,388
Thanks Received: 10,207

There's obviously a potentially significant difference between "blowing an account up" and experiencing a near 100% drawdown. If I fund an account with 100k, then take out 5k/month for 2 years before "blowing the account up" in month 25 I'm still up $'s and have in reality only experienced a 45% drawdown despite "blowing the account up".

I'm curious when people say they've blown 2 or 3 accounts do they actually mean they got wiped out, meaning a near 100% drawdown?

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

Platform: CQG
Broker: S5
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 15,510
Thanks Received: 15,436

SMCJB View Post
There's obviously a potentially significant difference between "blowing an account up" and experiencing a near 100% drawdown. If I fund an account with 100k, then take out 5k/month for 2 years before "blowing the account up" in month 25 I'm still up $'s and have in reality only experienced a 45% drawdown despite "blowing the account up".

I'm curious when people say they've blown 2 or 3 accounts do they actually mean they got wiped out, meaning a near 100% drawdown?

I took 'blowing out' to mean what @Big Mike meant at the beginning, i.e. bring your account down to a level where you're unable to trade any longer, so in effects it means the account must have less than the minimum margin allowed to trade... in which case if I want to trade again I need to top up my account.... that definition of blowing out fits what I personally experienced.

Thanked by:

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

SMCJB View Post

I've just read again your question and now I think I understand better what you are asking.

In my earlier post I had indicated that in my case I had opened a very small account to begin with.

So it follows that with very small accounts the chances of 'blowing out' the account are pretty high, especially if you're classed as a beginner.

On the other hand, I believe it would be very unwise for a beginner to throw a lot of money into a newly opened account. In my case it would have probably made me more reckless.
Best to keep things small. There's always the psychological barrier of a margin call to deal with if I have a small account, so I'll try and avoid that.

I hope it makes sense...

Thanked by:
rhtrader
Brasília, Distrito Federal/Brazil

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Blowing accounts is self-destruction and self-sabotage.
The real emotional control is to stop the rational side of the brain when the emotional is not good. If you can do this, you can trade safely.

xplorer 
London UK
Site Moderator

rhtrader View Post
Blowing accounts is self-destruction and self-sabotage.

If that was the case many people who I understand are successful traders today would have never blown accounts out.

I agree with your second point about emotional control though.

Last Updated on March 22, 2016

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts