NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Best way to get filled on option spreads?


Discussion in Options

Updated
    1. trending_up 3,045 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
keong
Singapore + Singapore
 
Posts: 13 since Nov 2015
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 2

Hi,
I'm currently trading options on commodity futures on IB.

I've noticed that getting fills on ratio credit spreads on options on IB can take quite a while and be quite frustrating.

For e.g., if the B/A is -0.20/-0.30, if I put in a bid at -0.25, the B/A almost immediately adjusts itself to -0.15/-0.25. This happens to almost every commodity that I've sold options in (CL, NG, ZW, etc.). I can only get filled if I go in at/close to the middle of B/A and wait (sometimes within 1/2 hour to several hours or not at all). Needless to say, this is most frustrating as I seem to be trading against a market maker or trading algo who just lowers prices in response to a lower bid by me.

Is this a feature of the liquidity in the options markets or something that's idiosyncratic to IB itself?

What's the best way of getting filled for credit spreads?

Cheers,
K


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
EA
Platforms and Indicators
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Posts: 1,938 since Nov 2014
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,653


It is my experience that for the energies (and the softs) it is more difficult to get a good fill than for grains, beans or meats. I rarely succeed with a fill in the middle between bid and ask for these commodities, whereas for CBOT traded commodities it often works.

This is true for outrights as well as for spreads.

I do not know if your problems have to do with IB. When I traded with them I did not recognize such issues.

The best way to get a fill is placing a limit order during day trading hours (former pit trading hours). Volume can be better after the open and before the close (of the former pit trading hours).

Good luck !

Best regards, Myrrdin


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on February 17, 2016


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts