NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Trading options with more than a year till expiration


Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one punter1 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Bookworm with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 1,696 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 3 followers
    1. forum 4 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
punter1
New York New York
 
Posts: 5 since Apr 2017
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 0

Greetings,

I am looking to buy options (puts or calls depending on the market) that have 365 days or more until expiration. I am wondering if there will be any issues with the liquidation of the options.

Example:

1-If I owned one 97.25 Eurodollar Jun 18 put and I wanted to liquidated it in Nov 17. What (if any) issues will I run into?

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks

Eddie


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
EA
Platforms and Indicators
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
  #3 (permalink)
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Posts: 1,938 since Nov 2014
Thanks Given: 3,688
Thanks Received: 2,653



punter1 View Post
Greetings,

I am looking to buy options (puts or calls depending on the market) that have 365 days or more until expiration. I am wondering if there will be any issues with the liquidation of the options.

Example:

1-If I owned one 97.25 Eurodollar Jun 18 put and I wanted to liquidated it in Nov 17. What (if any) issues will I run into?

If you need more information please let me know.

Thanks

Eddie

Have a look at open interest and volume. Eurodollar futures have a large volume for 2018 or 2020 contracts, and I assume the same is valid for the corresponding options. In other markets volume is negligible for these years, and you might run into problems in case you want to liquidate.

Best regards, Myrrdin


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #4 (permalink)
 
Bookworm's Avatar
 Bookworm 
Long Island, NY
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: TOS
Broker: Charles Schwab
Trading: Equities, index options and futures options
Posts: 194 since Apr 2010
Thanks Given: 69
Thanks Received: 207

Keep in mind the Delta of a long dated option will react less to moves in the underlying market due to its low Gamma compared to an option much closer to expiration. This helps with an adverse move but hinders profits in a favorable move.


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #5 (permalink)
punter1
New York New York
 
Posts: 5 since Apr 2017
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 0


Bookworm View Post
Keep in mind the Delta of a long dated option will react less to moves in the underlying market due to its low Gamma compared to an option much closer to expiration. This helps with an adverse move but hinders profits in a favorable move.

Thank you very much for the reply.


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on May 13, 2017


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts