NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day Trading from an Ogre's Point of View

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TradingOgre with 393 posts (1,177 thanks)
    2. looks_two MiniP with 26 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobarian with 18 posts (25 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TradingOgre with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MiniP with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 80,791 views
    2. thumb_up 1,547 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 627 posts
    2. attach_file 263 attachments

Search this Thread

Day Trading from an Ogre's Point of View

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,524
Thanks Received: 26,292

TradingOgre View Post
Interesting note on the TST combine. When they refer to trade a minimum of 5 days (for step 1) they aren't talking about trade two days and then no trades for 3 days to get to five. You have to complete at least one trade on 5 different days. Not a problem but I thought people might want to know. I guess their idea of trade 5 days and my idea of trade 5 days didn't match. LOL!

Yeah... gotta trade all those days.

I would just caution you to be sure you are clear about all the other rules, too.

One that confuses a lot of people is the trailing max drawdown. It starts out, for the 50K I am in, as a flat max loss of $2,000, so the plug will be pulled if you lose down to 48K. But as you make profits, it trails up like a trailing stop on your account balance, which means you can suddenly find yourself knocked out when you think you have a lot of room to fall. (It stops trailing when the cutoff level gets up to the original starting balance.)

So everyone should be sure they've read all the Help topics, and possibly twice: https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/categories/203775488-Trading-Combine-

Hope it's going well for you.

Bob.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage - Philip Capital
Trading: NQ,ES,6E,CL
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,672

Today is probably the first day I have felt good about not taking trades. I had committed to not taking any counter trend trades but most of the good set ups today have been counter trend. Go figure. I was good and didn't take any of them. Otherwise, there just weren't any good set ups that met all of my criteria for entering a trade. A couple of them would have made money but I didn't take them because they weren't ideal. A couple of them would have lost money as well.

Sometimes not trading is a win.

I have been working on a way to take certain counter trend trades but so far the risk is still greater than the reward.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

bobwest View Post
Yeah... gotta trade all those days.

I would just caution you to be sure you are clear about all the other rules, too.

One that confuses a lot of people is the trailing max drawdown. It starts out, for the 50K I am in, as a flat max loss of $2,000, so the plug will be pulled if you lose down to 48K. But as you make profits, it trails up like a trailing stop on your account balance, which means you can suddenly find yourself knocked out when you think you have a lot of room to fall. (It stops trailing when the cutoff level gets up to the original starting balance.)

So everyone should be sure they've read all the Help topics, and possibly twice: https://help.futures.topstep.com/hc/en-us/categories/203775488-Trading-Combine-

Hope it's going well for you.

Bob.

I actually understood the trailing drawdown part. LOL!

I was reading over One Up Trading's rules and they even have a calculation for consistency as a part of their evaluation. They take 80% of your biggest winning day then they add up the 2nd 3rd and 4th biggest winning days and they have to total at least 80% of your biggest day.

Thanked by:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Open question for anyone who wants to chime in:

What are your thoughts on good old fashioned trend lines? I have never actually traded with them but I see some interesting opportunities on NQ for trading trend line breaks.

I am done trading for the day so I am trying to find a way to reliably enter counter trend or to have confirmation of going with the trend.

Thanks for the input.

pfsthib 
Sulphur, LA USA

Platform: Ninjatrader
Trading: ES, NQ
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 82

TradingOgre View Post

What are your thoughts on good old fashioned trend lines? I have never actually traded with them but I see some interesting opportunities on NQ for trading trend line breaks.

I am done trading for the day so I am trying to find a way to reliably enter counter trend or to have confirmation of going with the trend.

Thanks for the input.

I use trend breaks at areas of support and resistance, pivots, etc.

Sent using the nexusfi.com mobile app

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

TradingOgre View Post

What are your thoughts on good old fashioned trend lines?

You certainly can create a strategy around them. However, TL's placement is a bit subjective. Here are a few examples from today:

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

TradingOgre View Post

Thanks for the input.

In some ways they are like MA's: they show the trend, and when the trend actually changes they will be broken. But like MA's, they can easily also have false breaks that don't lead to anything. In other words, every true trend reversal will break a trendline, and an MA too -- but you can have trendline/MA breaks that are not real trend reversals.

Sometimes when I draw them, they actually keep pace with MA's. I think of them (MA's and trendlines) as being very similar. But one problem is always which points to use for trendlines, whereas MA's just are put there automatically. Trendlines are also much easier to see after the fact, which is not too useful.

I end up with enough stuff on a chart anyway, so I tend to not use trendlines and channels much, but I think they can be a help. They do increase the amount of judgment you have to make, because there's the judgment of which points to use for them as well as the judgment of what to do when they break.

So this is not a rave review, but I think if you use MA's you can also use trendlines, with the same pluses and minuses, basically.

Bob.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

trendisyourfriend View Post
You certainly can create a strategy around them. However, TL's placement is a bit subjective.

Agree on the subjectivity. It's kind of an art.

Bob.

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

bobwest View Post
Agree on the subjectivity. It's kind of an art.

Bob.

It depends, see this video. This is probably one of the most advance TL EA i have seen. You can even test TL on historical datas and scroll the chart and the lines will be drawn automatically. This allows you to test prior sequences. With such a tool all subjectivity is gone. A line breaks or not. What is subjective is your decision to take a trade or not. Also, if a trendline breaks but fails you can just reverse on a break of the prior swing high/low that lead to the false breakout. That is how i would go with TL's.

Thanked by:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

trendisyourfriend View Post
It depends, see this video. This is probably one of the most advance TL EA i have seen. You can even test TL on historical datas and scroll the chart and the lines will be drawn automatically. This allows you to test prior sequences. With such a tool all subjectivity is gone. A line breaks or not. What is subjective is your decision to take a trade or not. Also, if a trendline breaks but fails you can just reverse on a break of the prior swing high/low that lead to the false breakout. That is how i would go with TL's.

Interesting product. Wish they offered it for NT8 and not MT4.

Thanks

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 12, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts