NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Day Trading from an Ogre's Point of View

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one TradingOgre with 393 posts (1,177 thanks)
    2. looks_two MiniP with 26 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobarian with 18 posts (25 thanks)
    4. looks_4 trendisyourfriend with 15 posts (16 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two TradingOgre with 3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MiniP with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 80,791 views
    2. thumb_up 1,547 thanks given
    3. group 58 followers
    1. forum 627 posts
    2. attach_file 263 attachments

Search this Thread

Day Trading from an Ogre's Point of View

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage - Philip Capital
Trading: NQ,ES,6E,CL
Thanks Given: 908
Thanks Received: 1,672

stefan416 View Post
I was more talking about how price looks to "roll over" into a potential trading entry zone and then wiped you out. What would have to happen in that chart for you to have a valid entry?

Sent using the nexusfi.com mobile app

Price needs to close below the 60 ema then close above the 21 ema. See green lines on chart below. At this point no additional long signals have been generated (although I am still tweaking the indicator).

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

stefan416 
Toronto, Canada

Platform: Ninjatrader, MT4
Trading: Forex, US Index Futures
Thanks Given: 15
Thanks Received: 12

TradingOgre View Post
Price needs to close below the 60 ema then close above the 21 ema. See green lines on chart below. At this point no additional long signals have been generated (although I am still tweaking the indicator).

I might have to load up ninjatrsder and give blood hound a try. Even just so a visual aid ot looks pretty nice. Currently using Sierra which is super nice

Sent using the nexusfi.com mobile app

Thanked by:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Just realized I didn't post here yesterday.

Had another decent day. Missed several trades but still managed to pull in over 90 ticks. First trade was the roughest. Not sure why I chose where I chose to enter but it almost took me out for a full stop out. It turned about 4-5 ticks away and I jumped out for a small gain. Could have made more but I was just happy to be out of that trade. If I would have entered where I should have then it wouldn't have come close to the stop. Knocking the weekend rust off I guess. LOL!

Still playing around with BloodHound on the weekends and trying to get it to see what I see on the charts isn't really any easier than just writing hard code. It's really good at things like comparing values but not so good on finding specific chart patterns unless you have an indicator dedicated for that and it has outputs that BloodHound can read. Still like it and think it is worth the investment. I put it aside during the week so I don't get distracted trying to refine it.

Been dragging my feet on completing step one of the TST combine. Still have a little ways to go but very near completion. Total max drawdown to this point has only been 0.8% which happened on the first day of trading the combine. Go figure. LOL! Account, when I trade it, has been on a slow steady climb since then. There have been no losing days since the first one. What was the difference? Stopped trying to fight the trend. I don't care if I miss half of the trend while it reverses. You can make a fortune only capturing 10% of the moves in any given day.

I wanted to post about something I read on another forum this morning. Someone was complaining that they felt the market was "rigged" due to the number of computers trading their algorithms. Their argument centered around how ES moved in a steady uptrend most of yesterday with little or no pullbacks. So, being a retired programmer I wanted to share my thoughts around computers and automated trading. When someone has a bad day trading it is very easy to fall into a trap of placing the blame on something external. "It's not my fault, the market is rigged" When, in reality, computers and automated trading doing most of the work these days have made trading easier in my opinion. Why? Fear and greed are not in the equation when a computer is doing the trading. It MUST abide by the rules programmed into the software. It cannot deviate from that plan. If you can see how the markets are working then why not just follow the market? Don't fight it, figure it out and join the party and ride the wave.

Ok enough rambling, let's get ready for today's trading.

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Will the bull and the bear battling it out over NQ please stop. One of you needs to give up so we can pick a direction and go with it. LOL!

Thanked by:

trendisyourfriend 
Quebec Canada
Market Wizard

Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 4,176
Thanks Received: 6,020

TradingOgre View Post
Will the bull and the bear battling it out over NQ please stop. One of you needs to give up so we can pick a direction and go with it. LOL!

We got a measured move to Yesterday high (RTH) and the 61.8% retracement. I amnot expert in harmonic trading but this was surely a level watched by many for going long.

Thanked by:

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

A massive 10 ticks of profit. LOL! I promise I won't spend it all in one place.

Not all days have really nice long smooth trends. At least I survived it. Need a t-shirt for proof.

Missed a few entries that would have been reasonably profitable. Hard to tell by just looking back at it. Everything looks different in the heat of battle.

Will hang around for a bit looking for a few more scalps so I can get the wife a Starbucks coffee.

Thanked by:

stefan416 
Toronto, Canada

Mind posting a chart? I didn't even touch NQ today. It looked like a mess. Forex wasnt much better. Alot of continuation moves that reversed

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

Here ya' go.

Thanked by:

stefan416 
Toronto, Canada

Awesome, thank you. Can I ask why you didn't enter where your first arrow is? Based on the break of the small swing immediately before it?

TradingOgre 
Evans GA/USA
Legendary Market Wizard

stefan416 View Post
Awesome, thank you. Can I ask why you didn't enter where your first arrow is? Based on the break of the small swing immediately before it?

Just a visual judgement call. I don't like the minor swings that are really close to the downtrend (in this case). The second one that I missed due to a distraction has a good bit more room between it and the downtrend. Hope that makes sense. More of a personal preference than a must do.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 12, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts