NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 126 posts (973 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 32 posts (152 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jakobe with 23 posts (20 thanks)
    4. looks_4 joe s with 21 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one JonnyBoy with 7.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wldman with 6.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 4.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 4.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 204,785 views
    2. thumb_up 1,930 thanks given
    3. group 928 followers
    1. forum 528 posts
    2. attach_file 174 attachments

Search this Thread

VWAP for stock index futures trading?

Keab 
London UK

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: SierraChart/Prorealtime
Broker: Sierra Chart/prorealtime
Trading: SandP futures
Thanks Given: 123
Thanks Received: 316

JonnyBoy View Post
You are not wrong here. There are many moving pieces that establish an individual traders success (and overall the institutions success) and VWAP is an important piece but not the only piece.

A friend of mine is an ex-institution VWAP trader. Whilst I can't divulge detailed specifics of how all these things work (or used to work at his institution), what your cousin could have been referring to are the trading and KPI tools available to them that can be used for liquidity aggregation. This is especially relevant where high volume positions must be hedged as a result of adverse moves in security prices.

What he could be meaning (and I am trying to pick up on some things you referred to) here is that the traders are also measured against their efficiency in maximizing the volume that can be hedged against his/her position. What I mean by that is that they can offset some volume from what might be considered an "expensive" position at the cost of the price that is saved when acquiring "cheaper" positions. This isn't any simple hedge, this is a carefully crafted calculation.

They achieve this by building their position using their own calculated spread using VWAP as the price calculation, remembering at the same time that this type of execution should also have minimal price movement. They never want to been "seen'' accumulating or distributing to give away their positional intent.

This could or it could not be what your cousin was referring too but it is one of a handful of benchmarks.

Very interesting Jonnyboy, thanks for the reply. Are you essentially saying that the overall price is simply averaged throughout the day? am assuming it's not as simple as that!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: Kinetick
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 706
Thanks Received: 3,858

Keab View Post
Very interesting Jonnyboy, thanks for the reply. Are you essentially saying that the overall price is simply averaged throughout the day? am assuming it's not as simple as that!

No. Not even close to being as simple as that. I was attempting to simplify that particular aspect, but that doesn't mean it is simple.

While VWAP and their associated strategies are relatively straightforward in concept, their implementation is anything but.

EDIT: The attachment here is the document that started my VWAP journey.

--------------------------------------------------------
- Trade what you see. Invest in what you believe -
Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: TP_Spring_2002_Madhavan.pdf
 sheldonxp 
Gaborone, Botswana

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 2

MiamiTrader View Post
I quickly threw together a strategy on NinjaTrader with only the VWAP test long/short and so far with a risk/reward of 1:1 it's just above a third win rate. I'm trying several things but so far a 1:1.5 has a positive net expectancy.

Did you really come up with a strategy that consistently generates a third win rate with 1:1 r/r? If so, why not just flip the entries and exits and you will have a winning strategy?

Thanked by:
 MiamiTrader 
Miami FL/US

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 8
Thanks Received: 35

sheldonxp View Post
Did you really come up with a strategy that consistently generates a third win rate with 1:1 r/r? If so, why not just flip the entries and exits and you will have a winning strategy?

I have a habit of programming trading ideas into NinjaTrader to see if it has potential in a strategy I can adapt for my discretionary or algorithmic trading. I use a modified version of this strategy for discretionary and it works well. I haven't put in the time to make something work algorithmically (if you will) because I've been swamped with other more important tasks. My algorithmic strategy that is not related to VWAP does well so I'm focused on improving it currently.

Lfx987
London

Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 79

sheldonxp View Post

Find a losing strategy and then do the opposite.

This subject has been debated (and tested to death) certainly in the forex market.

No one has ever proven that such a strategy would work (discretionary or algo).

View below interesting youtube video:

Anyway, apologies for digressing from the purpose of this thread.

Thanked by:

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

Lfx987 View Post
Find a losing strategy and then do the opposite.

This subject has been debated (and tested to death) certainly in the forex market.

No one has ever proven that such a strategy would work (discretionary or algo).

View below interesting youtube video:

Anyway, apologies for digressing from the purpose of this thread.

You are correct. Taking a poor performing strategy and just reversing it won't magically make it profitable. It just doesn't work like that. I have reversed only a handful of strategies I have tested, but this was more out of frustration than anything else and the results were no better. And yes, back on topic now! If anybody wants to comment more we can always create a new thread.

Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,014

@JonnyBoy, Its been couple of months but I just wanted to leave update here since you were the inspiration for this

chartCapture

Basic idea behind this is to have weekly anchored vwap with stdvs and then have daily anchored vwap with 2.5 stdv (sometimes changes as per security). Its fascinating how price enteracts with this basic mapping, I've been following the rules you have mentioned previously, while I generally avoid mean reversion trades, I do find this quite useful to ride out moves much more comfortably. It keeps my anxiety down.lol

I must say because of you and this thread my ability to read market has improved considerably.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

JonnyBoy 
Montreal, Quebec

LastDino View Post
@JonnyBoy, Its been couple of months but I just wanted to leave update here since you were the inspiration for this

chartCapture

Basic idea behind this is to have weekly anchored vwap with stdvs and then have daily anchored vwap with 2.5 stdv (sometimes changes as per security). Its fascinating how price enteracts with this basic mapping, I've been following the rules you have mentioned previously, while I generally avoid mean reversion trades, I do find this quite useful to ride out moves much more comfortably. It keeps my anxiety down.lol

I must say because of you and this thread my ability to read market has improved considerably.

That is great to know. I planned to do another flurry of VWAP stuff when I get the chance. There has been enough soak time for traders to discover VWAP just like you have and make it their own.

You mentioned the weekly VWAP and it was active today with some beautiful entries. In the chart below the orange lines are the weekly VWAP SDs. The blue/red line is the weekly VWAP. The grey dotted lines are today's SDs and the yellow/magenta is today's VWAP.

The white box is price movement from the weekly SDs and weekly VWAP. The yellow box is price movement from today's SDs and VWAP. The double box shows the cross over of the weekly +1SD and today's VWAP. It was like poetry.

Of course this is so easy to show after the fact, but I'll try and put some more VWAP posts together about these types of locations.

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,014

JonnyBoy View Post
That is great to know. I planned to do another flurry of VWAP stuff when I get the chance. There has been enough soak time for traders to discover VWAP just like you have and make it their own.

You mentioned the weekly VWAP and it was active today with some beautiful entries. In the chart below the orange lines are the weekly VWAP SDs. The blue/red line is the weekly VWAP. The grey dotted lines are today's SDs and the yellow/magenta is today's VWAP.

The white box is price movement from the weekly SDs and weekly VWAP. The yellow box is price movement from today's SDs and VWAP. The double box shows the cross over of the weekly +1SD and today's VWAP. It was like poetry.

Of course this is so easy to show after the fact, but I'll try and put some more VWAP posts together about these types of locations.

Indeed, that's a greate chart and will look forward to more posts from you

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 sg72 
Orange County, CA, USA

Platform: NinjaTrader, Fidelity ATP
Trading: ES/NQ/RTY, Equity ETFs, Options
Thanks Given: 44
Thanks Received: 48

JonnyBoy View Post

@JonnyBoy

Where exactly is the starting point for the weekly VWAP? Do you take the last rotating 5 trading days? Or is it just the current week, ie; starting from the Sunday globex session?

Thank you.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on June 27, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts