NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Backtesting strategy on multiple securities?


Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
    1. trending_up 2,348 views
    2. thumb_up 0 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 3 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
freetimetrader
New York, NY
 
Posts: 2 since Jun 2019
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

I've been getting acquainted with ToS over the last few months. I've discovered strategies, and I love that I can get P&L information (number of trades, total gain/loss, largest gain/loss) for the stock that I currently have up on my chart. However, I'm wondering if there's a way to backtest my strategy on a preset list of securities- Perhaps all S&P 100 stock. That way, I can easily see if the strategy is valid across the selected securities. Preferably, I could export the P&L data to Excel so that I could compare similar strategies.


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
No book, only a stair: journaling fills where price move …
Cryptocurrency
EA
Platforms and Indicators
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Mes vs MNQ
6 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
5 thanks
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Johnnys Journal
2 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 kjhosken 
Seattle, WA/USA
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS, TS
Trading: Forex, crude
Posts: 96 since Sep 2016
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 35

There is not a way to do this on TOS that I'm aware of. Amibroker would be a good choice to do something like this.


Follow me on X Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)
 
mtzimmer1's Avatar
 mtzimmer1 
Upstate NY
Legendary Recovering Method Hopper
 
Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Broker: TD Ameritrade
Trading: Equities, Treasuries, Gold
Posts: 840 since Dec 2018
Thanks Given: 2,201
Thanks Received: 1,918


I use TOS. Love the platform but it definitely has limitations. I would recommend considering tradestation if you intend to write and test strategies. I found easylanguage (tradestation coding language) very easy to learn having learned thinkscript first. Tradestation has a function called portfolio maestro which allows you to test any combination of strategies on any list of symbols.


Sent using the NexusFi mobile app


Follow me on X Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)
freetimetrader
New York, NY
 
Posts: 2 since Jun 2019
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Thank you guys!


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on June 24, 2019


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts