NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

I need help with ... (ask any question)

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 153 posts (94 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 88 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Philip Hutchinson with 10 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 xplorer with 9 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Daytrader999 with 2.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 0.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 104,775 views
    2. thumb_up 387 thanks given
    3. group 325 followers
    1. forum 587 posts
    2. attach_file 42 attachments

Search this Thread

I need help with ... (ask any question)

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,524
Thanks Received: 26,292

Hi @Chof,

I'm afraid there's just a little more to be done here, to get things the way you want them.

Kudos for working through most of what you needed, and in an unfamiliar environment. Also to @zt379 for effectively walking you through it. There are issues in both the Download entry and in the forum post you wrote to explain the indicator. Both have to do with images.

The current entry in the Downloads section looks like this:

Note the area marked off with a blue circle, right beside the + sign in the upper left corner. This is normally where a screenshot of your indicator would go, which allows people to get an idea of what the indicator is for without having to read about it first. In this case, reading through posts between you and @zt379, it looks like you wanted to have two image here (but it will only take one). So you were going to display the images in a separate post, and there is no image here. That's why the text starts right at the + sign.

You also can't use a pdf file; it has to be a true image file (such as .jpg or .png, etc.) Right now if you click on the + sign, you get a blank screen.

There is also an issue that in the post you created to explain the indi, there is no screen image embedded in the post, You do have two pdf files attached, but pdf's are not the best way to display a chart image in a post, because they need to be separately opened and can't just be viewed within the post itself. (Also, when I opened these I got an error; apparently I needed a font package that I don't have installed.)

These are all easily fixable.

1. For the Download entry:

We will need to upload one graphic type file. Probably your charting platform will let you create the image file from a chart; I believe that NT has a way to save an image to a file, or you could use any screen capture program that saves to a png or jpg file (not pdf.)

You will have to open the Edit window for the existing Download section entry. To do this, refer to the image of the entry up above, and notice the funny little icon over on the top right that looks like a pen and pad of paper (sort of -- not my fault, I didn't create this ).

Here it is again:

Click on this and you will get the Add/Edit Entry page:

Add the Image file (leave eveything else as-is) and hit Submit at the bottom.

So now Downloads should be done.

2. For your post in the forum thread:

This will actually work as-is, but I almost guarantee that no one will bother opening the pdf files to see the chart pictures. You want to embed them in the post itself.

You will want to open the Edit window of the post by clicking Edit. You will want to go down below the text box and select Manage Attachments:

This will bring up a file selection box.

Click on the Choose File button for each file to upload and then select Upload. When they're up, select Embed to insert them into the post. A link will be inserted at the insert point. You can move that link around within the post to place it where you want it.

All done.

Bob.

-------------------

Edit: I originally said you only had 24 hours to edit your post, but I forgot that it was the first post of a thread, so that does not apply.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Chof 
Edmonton AB. / Canada

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT 8
Broker: Amp / CQG
Trading: NQ index
Duration: Seconds
Thanks Given: 29
Thanks Received: 50

Hello @bobwest,

Thanks for the extra insight(s) and interest in making my post
more usable.. The improvements have really helped.. I hope the
pics help as they were intended..

cheers,

Chof

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Chof View Post
Hello @bobwest,

Thanks for the extra insight(s) and interest in making my post
more usable.. The improvements have really helped.. I hope the
pics help as they were intended..

cheers,

Chof

Yep. Good job.

Bob.

rscr 
san jose costa rica

Platform: trading station
Trading: forex
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 9

Am an old guy (84), totally lost when it comes to navigating technology.
Have developed an ES strategy for NT8 using UniRenko bars. Seeking help to backtest for viability and possibility to automate. Will happily compensate via PayPal for time spent.
All input will be greatly appreciated.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

rscr View Post
Am an old guy (84), totally lost when it comes to navigating technology.
Have developed an ES strategy for NT8 using UniRenko bars. Seeking help to backtest for viability and possibility to automate. Will happily compensate via PayPal for time spent.
All input will be greatly appreciated.

Hi @rscr, I am totally sympathetic with your difficulty with technology.

But I am asking you now to stop posting this way. When you click on "Ask your first question," it does end up getting your question answered, but (1) this is not your first question you have made this way -- this is the seventh post you have made here; (2) the last time, you and I had a conversation about this:

bobwest View Post
Hi @rscr,

In this "ask any question" thread, we try to find a location in the forum where a member's question is most likely to be be seen and hopefully responded to by other traders of similar interests, and then create a new thread for their post in that location.

I'm going to ask you to not post your questions this way any more, but to locate what you think is the best place for it and post it there. Otherwise, you should know that every single time anyone uses this "ask any question" thing, that is what I do, and hopefully your question ends up in the same place you would have put it in.... But it's obviously better if you could just put it there in the first place.

Bob.

To which you replied:

rscr View Post
Understood and shall comply. Thanks
Purra Vida

If you are having problems navigating the forum and finding the best place to put your questions, here is a short post that explains how to find the best location and make a post there::

I don't want to be in the position of shaking my finger at you and lecturing you, but I do want you to be able to do these basic tasks on your own. So please give it a try, the next time you have a "how to" question to ask. As it is, you're just asking me, and all I do is transfer the question out to another location for the other members to see and possibly answer. That's what this thread is for. It's a way to get a question put out into the broad forum, where a discussion can get going about it.

If, after all this, it really is a problem for you, let me know and if I can't help in some way, we can keep doing it this way. It's just a terrible way to do it, and completely unnecessary.

So, as to your question, I have opened up a new thread for it in the NinjaTrader section (which is the obvious place for it, and something you could easily have done), and I have transferred the post there.

You can find it by clicking on its new link, here:

And please, see if you can take over the task of posting your own questions in the future.

Bob.

jmg223
Chicago Illinois

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

Hi, I've recently come back to futures after blowing up 2 accounts a couple years. In the past I always approached trading like gambling, but now I'm trying to come at it with a more long term approach. I'm not a fan of paper trading but seeing as I can't make consistent money in paper I don't see a point in trading real money. My question is while paper trading and searching for a strategy that works for me should I have a daily loss limit like I plan to have with my real account or should I first focus on trading and seeing what works and what doesn't before limiting the amount of trades I take per day?

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

jmg223 View Post
Hi, I've recently come back to futures after blowing up 2 accounts a couple years. In the past I always approached trading like gambling, but now I'm trying to come at it with a more long term approach. I'm not a fan of paper trading but seeing as I can't make consistent money in paper I don't see a point in trading real money. My question is while paper trading and searching for a strategy that works for me should I have a daily loss limit like I plan to have with my real account or should I first focus on trading and seeing what works and what doesn't before limiting the amount of trades I take per day?

Hi @jmg223 I am copying your question out to a new thread in the generic "Traders Hideout" section of the forum, to throw it open to the general membership. I will also add my views, in that thread.

You can access it by clicking here:

Your question touches on important questions about the use of simulated ("paper") trading, and there might be more than one answer.

Use the new thread to follow up on the conversation, and good luck with returning to trading.

Bob.

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 185
Thanks Received: 4,076

When I follow a thread what should I expect?

I have tried to follow a couple treads and nothing shows up to advise me when someone posts to the tread.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

deaddog View Post
When I follow a thread what should I expect?

I have tried to follow a couple treads and nothing shows up to advise me when someone posts to the tread.

Hi @deaddog,

You are supposed to receive an email when there is a new post in any subscribed thread.

This is more a question for @Big Mike, but unfortunately he is not readily available due to his ongoing medical issues.

I believe the answer is in your UserControlPanel > Edit Options > Messaging and Notifications > Default Thread Subscription Mode:

You can select whether you receive notifications or not in the dropdown. Let us know if this is set but is not working for you, or if setting this solves the problem.

In the meantime, I'll test this with a few threads when I get the chance. I know that it has worked in the past, but the recent site changes may have introduced some unexpected changes.

It there is still an issue, we'll refer it to Mike for when he is able to address it.

Bob.

FlyingRedbeet 
Munich, Germany

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 8

Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot. It's also my first post. So bear with me or otherwise advise me )

Topic: How can I create data snippets for replay on NT8

Background: I come from volume profile and order flow (footprint) and want to dig in deeper by learning how to read the DOM. So I worked through the basic material from John Grady. Convinced me ) Then I got myself Jigsaw, which I'm runnung through the bridge connecting it to NT8. I also work my way through the Jigsaw educational material. Also convincing. I have tried myself on the first three drills - (1) just look at the DOM until you start to see something - (2) just go in and order to find the ebb and flow in the market - (3) try to get one tick out of the market. => Very frustrating. I always have to go back to (1) understanding that I have no clue ... I have hunches, but they are far from consistent.

First attempt on Solution: On the base of Peter Davies' video about setups (can't post a link yet ... "7 Most Effective Trading Setups by Peter Davies") I'm trying to focus on situations where there is something significant happening in the market, like breakout or reversal etc. as I find it even more frustrating when the market (against the advice of John Grady I'm watching the ES, as I don't unterstand Tresuries, and I don't want to trade something I don't understand) is doing seemingly nothing for a long time and just when I get myself a cup of tea, it did something significant ... . So I went through a 30min chart to see at which times some setup situations have been happening. (Yes I'm aware of intraday high and low activity times like LSE or NYSE open or luncht time in NY ...)

Problem: The market replay function in NT8 has a very crude interface. I can't really set a precise starting time (yes, try the goto function and you'll see, what I mean) and the replay slider is soooo crude ... oh my.

Help wanted: How can I create snippets (3 - 5 min) of data to watch over and over again, so I can focus on what I'm supposed to see, in the hope that someday I will ... I have however failed to do so in NT. I can download and edit tick data series, but I can't reimport them into NT as it refuses to import them by a new name. If I use the original name, the data just disappear in the general database. Goodby snippet in the vast sea of ticks.

I see basically two routes: Succeed with the data "thing", or just make screen recordings in order to watch the videos afterwards with a player that gives me precise control over the time and also framewise replay.

Ok. That is some serious amount of text. Thank you for bearing with me sofar.
Any hints? Maybe a third or other route? Maybe also comments on whether the approach makes sense at all?

Best regards, Hendrik

Last Updated on February 22, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts