NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Detecting Stop Orders

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SpeculatorSeth with 5 posts (5 thanks)
    2. looks_two Silvester17 with 2 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 jmont1 with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Jigsaw Trading with 1 posts (1 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Silvester17 with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SpeculatorSeth with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Jigsaw Trading with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 jmont1 with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 6,001 views
    2. thumb_up 12 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Detecting Stop Orders

SpeculatorSeth   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 22
Thanks Received: 1,018

I am investigating algorithmic methods to determine when stop orders are being triggered. There are certainly some events I see on the tape where it seems likely that stop orders were a part of the order flow. If I can see them then it must be possible to detect algorithmically with some accuracy.

BookMap claims to have an algorithm that detects stop orders based on MBO data.

https://bookmap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=875

Quoting 
The detection provided by Stops & Icebergs Tracker (SIT) is based on our internal research. It’s very specific to the CME’s MBO data and specific to sequences of events produced by their matching engine. It wouldn’t work on data of any other exchange. Also, it doesn’t work with just any CME data, but with undamaged MBO data only (which is today provided only by Rithmic).

Perhaps they are judging whether an order is a stop order based on the sequence MBO events are received?

I also found this thought on the bookmap forum:

https://bookmap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348

Quoting 
From what I can tell, you might be able to derive stop orders by keeping a list of passive order IDs from the order book. If a stop run occurs they would be using a newly created market order and it's OrderId would not be in the list that's being kept.

It is unclear if Bookmap's algorithm actually does what it claims. I think I may need to connect to the Rithmic API directly and track events as they are received to understand if you can use this data to accurately detect stops.

Some other areas possibly worth investigating?
  • When price moves or sweeps several ticks at once.
  • When Level2 updates and order feeds appear to be out of sync.
  • Predicting stop locations based on large volume nodes and ATR.
  • Estimating net market positioning based on assuming stop orders are individual participants completely exiting a position.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

jmont1 
New York, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader8
Broker: Data = Rithmic -- Gives 70 Level II Data
Trading: 6C (Low Margin,) 6E, CL, GC, ES and Maybe DX for smaller tick value
Thanks Given: 1,719
Thanks Received: 1,020

@TWDsje, This thread may or may not be reviewed by the sophisticated programmer(s) you would need for this. May I recommend that you repost or provide a summary of this thread with a referral in both the free indicator and the Looking to hire a programmer if you are willing to pay for it.

Free indicator:

Big Mike View Post
Hey guys, I thought many of you would enjoy and benefit from this thread. My intention is to have each poster reply and describe in as much detail as possible an indicator they want created for NinjaTrader.

The programmers on the forum (there are many), plus myself, can read through each request and take the best posts and create the indicators for all to benefit from.

Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

jmont1 View Post
@TWDsje, This thread may or may not be reviewed by the sophisticated programmer(s) you would need for this. May I recommend that you repost or provide a summary of this thread with a referral in both the free indicator and the Looking to hire a programmer if you are willing to pay for it.

Free indicator:

I think @TWDsje is sophisticated enough to accomplish this task by himself

Thanked by:

Yeah the issue here is not the programming ability. It's more knowing enough about how the exchange works to know what to write. So far though it doesn't look like anybody knows any more about it than I do. So I think the next step is just going to be getting access to the Rithmic API and seeing if I can find anything playing with it.

Thanked by:

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

TWDsje View Post
Yeah the issue here is not the programming ability. It's more knowing enough about how the exchange works to know what to write. So far though it doesn't look like anybody knows any more about it than I do. So I think the next step is just going to be getting access to the Rithmic API and seeing if I can find anything playing with it.

that's probably a good idea.

there's one setup I use that most likely involves stop orders. big buy/sell order (iceberg) and when that level breaks it can go fast the other way. normally it's smarter to take the same side as the iceberg for a nice scalp. but when it fails, there could be some stop orders in place.
here's an example:

Right so the hope is that if we can more accurately identify stop orders we could analyze better how those situations happen. Sometimes a breakout will reverse, and sometimes it continues. Part of what makes such action difficult to analyze is you can't tell what are stops from trapped traders, and what are new people jumping in.

Thanked by:
 jmont1 
New York, NY

Platform: NinjaTrader8
Broker: Data = Rithmic -- Gives 70 Level II Data
Trading: 6C (Low Margin,) 6E, CL, GC, ES and Maybe DX for smaller tick value
Thanks Given: 1,719
Thanks Received: 1,020

TWDsje View Post

Ninja Trader Forum has a request for MBO data in NT8. But these requests are always rated by number of NT Forum members expressing interest. May I request members go here and submit a vote for it like I did:

https://forum.ninjatrader.com/forum/ninjatrader-8/add-on-development/1083425-any-progress-cme-data-regarding-mbo-market-by-order-exposure

"SFT-1496 +1 vote for this"

Jigsaw Trading  Jigsaw Trading is an official Site Sponsor

Thanks Given: 831
Thanks Received: 10,393

It does appear to be possible with MBO - BUT - after the event AND - only for server side orders (which is most retailers). Stops held on co-located servers (which TT uses) will not be identifiable.

It's all AFTER they are fired though.

If you have any questions about the products or services provided, please send me a Private Message or use the futures.io " Ask Me Anything" thread
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Jigsaw Trading View Post
It does appear to be possible with MBO - BUT - after the event AND - only for server side orders (which is most retailers). Stops held on co-located servers (which TT uses) will not be identifiable.

It's all AFTER they are fired though.

Sure. You wouldn't see synthetic stops either, and I realize we're not talking about seeing resting stops just triggered stops. That's exactly what I want to see. I want to count the orders to test a few theories. If there's a move and there's a higher or lower percentage of stop orders in it I think that might reveal a small edge in what happens next. Because you know that there's a higher chance of those orders being people exiting positions rather than entering positions.

NoSquigglyLines 
London+UK

Platform: irt
Trading: es, cl, 6e
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

Did this ever progress as an idea?

I've been thinking about this after watching one of the bookmap webinars. I like the idea of what they're talking about but wasn't immediately convinced by their charting (although obvs it takes some getting used to).

I'm slowly regrouping after a long time away from markets and thinking of a research project. This data should all be available through MBO as far as I understand? Is Rithmic the only source?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on February 5, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts