NexusFi: Find Your Edge


Home Menu

 





Performance report tracking.


Discussion in MultiCharts

Updated
    1. trending_up 2,638 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 1 followers
    1. forum 2 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments




 
Search this Thread
  #1 (permalink)
biffhero
San Jose, CA
 
Posts: 10 since Sep 2020
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 1

As I work on developing a strategy, I find myself working through multiple time frames, symbols, and entry and exit ideas. How do we keep track of all of these things long term?

So far, I am using a spreadsheet, with filters, so that I can easily compare like for like with different ideas. However, as this grows, I can see that being able to compare one test with another one is going to become a lot of work.

Thanks,
Rob


Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
My Rant with AMP Futures
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Trump Media to sell instant access to market-moving soci …
Traders Hideout
requesting .nrd replay files from 2026 spy and qqq
The Elite Circle
Datafeed for Atas
Platforms and Indicators
EA
Platforms and Indicators
 
Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
BERN ALGOS algo trading journal
3 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
2 thanks
TopStep Trader disappointment
2 thanks
Want your NinjaTrader indicator created, free?
1 thanks
Running trading strategies on a VPS
1 thanks
  #2 (permalink)
 tr8er 
Europe
Legendary Market Wizard
 
Experience: Advanced
Platform: SierraChart, BookMap
Trading: ES, CL, 6E, 6B
Posts: 689 since Jan 2017
Thanks Given: 230
Thanks Received: 730

Trader call this kind of work "Journal"


Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
  #3 (permalink)
biffhero
San Jose, CA
 
Posts: 10 since Sep 2020
Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 1



tr8er View Post
Trader call this kind of work "Journal"

I'm sorry, I was unclear. I am specifically not talking about a "trading journal".

Is there such a thing as a "strategy journal" ?

Here's an example, all numbers made up.

some inputs :

entry: 9ema crossover close
exit: 200 sma close crossunder
filter 1: close price > 200sma
datetimefilter1 : rth
symbol: CSCO
timeframe : 1m
start date: 1 Jan 2000
end date: 30 Jun 2020
fees: zero

some outputs:

Net profit : 148
Profit factor: 2.3
Total Trades : 10
Win : 8
Lose : 2
%win : 80.00%
Avg Trade : +14.80
Avg Win : 27.65
Avg Loss : 36.60
R: .76
Days : 33
$ / day : 4.49
trades / day : .3030


And on and on and on. My Strategy report from MC is well and good, but I only capture a few variables out of it. Note, no Sharpe, no Sortino, no MAE, no MFE, none of that stuff.

And then, when it gets to be Sep 30 2020, and it is time for my "quarterly strategy review", do I need to go back and re-run all of these strategies by hand again, and copy the output into my spreadsheet? Seems like something that should be automated.

I realize that the "first step" would be to do export the strategy report to excel, and then use python or R to parse that into a database. I'm wondering if this is what everyone is doing, or is there already a product out there that not only takes the reports and ingests them, but also re-runs them in the backtesting tool, and then re-imports those changes.

Thanks for helping me clear up my thoughts.
Rob


Reply With Quote




Last Updated on October 21, 2020


© 2026 NexusFi®, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Downloads - Top
no new posts