NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Any good traders on YouTube?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SBtrader82 with 18 posts (50 thanks)
    2. looks_two phantomtrader with 16 posts (22 thanks)
    3. looks_3 faithdefender with 16 posts (15 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Joseph Connors with 13 posts (10 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 6.3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two 1BSD with 3.9 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SBtrader82 with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SpeculatorSeth with 2.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 89,844 views
    2. thumb_up 570 thanks given
    3. group 743 followers
    1. forum 331 posts
    2. attach_file 9 attachments

Search this Thread

Any good traders on YouTube?

1BSD
Hamburg / Germany

Thanks Given: 45
Thanks Received: 81

Oh btw just realised, very sorry for taking this way off topic which was youtube, but I'm done on this subject anyway, I'm old enough to realize that facts won't sway opinions of people who truly want to believe anyway, so no point for me going on.

Last word from me, nothing succeeds like success, so if you want to have a chance, figure it out yourself, its not rocket science, the challenge is between your ears and nowhere else...

or do what I did and go look at those who have demonstrated in real life that they can put their money where their mouth is.

So I suppose in the sense of this thread look at people like Linda Raschke or Paul Tudor Jones (great video with him where he talks about importance of positive risk/reward ratios)on youtube, or at the very least with people who also have an equity curve on one of those sites that do that.

(Eg profitly to which I have zero connection, but there are some very successful traders there who also have youtube videos and what they're doing at least seems consistent and based on a simple and reproducable method, and, no, I myself wouldn't touch penny stocks, but trading is trading and a lot of what I see them doing is what I do on index futures)

Good trading everybody

:-)

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators

guerra503
Portland, OR

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 8

Pocketful View Post
Edge Trading Group. Anthony was a former prop trader.

I can confirm that Anthony's archive of videos is very impressive. I jumped around from trading styles for a while until I found his videos, and I basically have adopted his style of trading since then. He has a few things that he teaches about the markets that are so dang contrarian, and once you start looking at the markets that way, it is really hard to think about whats happening in the markets in any other way. He has hundreds of videos on youtube, and they are all pretty unique. Someone else said FT71, and I would agree with that too. I give Anthony the slight edge though just because of how much content he actually puts out.

Thanked by:

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

TWDsje View Post
So this is the other facet to the whole YouTube thing that I find endlessly fascinating. There's really no reason for a creator to lie about whether their trading is live or sim. I take a lot of sim trades when I livestream, and I try to be as clear about that as I can. I don't trade live at all during the summer for instance. People do not care, and it doesn't influence how many views you get. For that matter your overall performance doesn't matter. In fact, you'll tend to get more views when you do poorly. People like to watch a train wreck.

So the only reason to lie about it is to protect your own ego. What gets really interesting for me though is how viewers attach their own ego to the person they're watching. As though they think they're special simply for discovering the creator. If their creator is exposed as a fake it becomes a slight to their own sense of self importance. Is that not what we're seeing here? I really can't come up with any other explanation for why people knowingly distract from the issue like that.

But once again I just come back to empirical evidence. Notice how there's absolutely no empirical observations in any of what is being said? I always find the price action folks to be particularly frustrating. They say they're not using technical analysis, but thinking price will or will not bounce in a place it bounced before is as technical analysis as it gets. They are so confident, but they can't seem to use the scientific method to show that it's actually a thing.

Richard Feynman, the great physicist and Nobel Prize winner said: "If you can’t explain something in simple terms, you don’t understand it". This applies to trading as much as it does to physics.

phantomtrader 
Reno, Nevada
Legendary Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ZN, ZB, CL
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 217
Thanks Received: 990

TheTradeSlinger View Post
Look left, levels, legs, momentum.

This ^^^^ is the strategy.

Look left: The current price action in the now is a direct result of previous price action in the past. Nothing on the chart can happen without it being set up to happen. Higher timeframes set the agenda, lower timeframes follow the higher, but change happens on the lower timeframe.

Levels: Levels are areas of support and resistance. The higher the timeframe level, the more importance it has to the current price action should current price action reach the level. Markets move from untested level to untested level. First touches, second touches. Leg starts.

Legs: Legs are the moves themselves, legs can be up or down. Legs have defined starts and ending points when looking left. Is price moving up or down in the now? That's the current leg. Current legs relate to / fit with past legs and their levels.

Momentum: Accumulation/distribution, Price moves up to sell, down to buy. Up, sideways, down - > distribution. Down, sideways, up - > accumulation. Momentum is defined on a leg by leg basis. How did the last leg move? Up easy? Up hard? Down easy? Down hard? How is the current leg movingwith regards to the pace or effort by buyers/sellers? How does it relate to previous legs?

Order entry/exit: Buy support, short resistance on your trading timeframe. Don't mix timeframes when it comes to entries/exits. Enter/exit on the trading timeframe in the current, with reference to higher timeframes and left legs for trade management (targets: leg starts, next levels higher/lower, etc.. stops: exit the trade when the premise is invalidated, i.e. a level is broken against your position).

General thoughts: Think in terms of inventory, which side is positioned in the current leg correctly, trapped traders, etc

Is this the essence of what you learned from him? I'm curious whether you are successful with this method and whether you have achieved consistency with your trading. I know nothing about "Lak" except that his YouTube videos ceased around 3 years ago. What happened? His website triggers a hijack malware alert. Can you demonstrate a few recent trades where you used his methodology? Thanks.

Thanked by:

Poosman 
Houston, Texas

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TV, TOS
Trading: NQ, ES, GC, Options
Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 18

I'm constantly fascinated by BookMap but won't touch it until I see someone trading off it in real time for a length of time.
Are there any YouTubers that trade off BookMap?

redbarntrades
Kalispell=Mt./USA

Thanks Given: 354
Thanks Received: 426

Poosman View Post
I'm constantly fascinated by BookMap but won't touch it until I see someone trading off it in real time for a length of time.
Are there any YouTubers that trade off BookMap?

Morad at Futures71 has traded using Bookmap.

I did for a few months. It's a great program. I found some benefit from it. You might give it a go. Due to the the very short length of my trades, I found TickStrike to be more suitable for me.

Both are just great tools. Either a shoe fits or it does not.

Traders trade so differently and perceive information differently. Bookmap was just a part of discovery of how my own brain works.

I am not as sharp as those that use Bookmap. But after all, programs and indicators are just tools to help us get our job done.

Thanked by:
 Pablherasgarcia 
Madrid

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader
Broker: Ninjatrader
Trading: CL, ES
Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 57

TheTradeSlinger View Post
This is my last post regarding this subject.

Ask yourself,

Why do all of the videos/gurus being posted have a website and courses to sell?

Then ask yourself,

Why is Lak the only one that isn't selling anything?

There can be many reasons. Ego, look for many views to monetize from youtube (Douglasontrading for example), etc. In any case if you think it´s not sim trading, you learn from it and you manage to make money, good for you.

CoinFlipper
Malibu, CA

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 4

The only thing I would like to add to this topic is that before making any "investment" on trading system, it is worth to ask:
Why these people are selling their hard work secrets for such small amount?

After a few years with this question I heard:
1) Ego - they like to show off, which does not make any sense to me because no one will recognize them in their circles.
2) Make more money - ridiculous, just scale up and see what happen
3) Try to find a real job - That sounds more reasonable, if they have the knowledge but don't have the money. They can prove themselves, promote and try to find a HF headhunter to bring them on board, although the chances are very low.
4) Academic - They have the will to teach something. it could be trading or cooking.

Traders need to start thinking why other professions like brain surgeons don't record youtube videos explaining how to remove tumors. Imagine a doc saying: "You can make 25K in an afternoon, if I can do it, you can do it..."

Thanked by:
SunTrader
Boca Raton, FL

Thanks Given: 81
Thanks Received: 182

CoinFlipper View Post
Traders need to start thinking why other professions like brain surgeons don't record youtube videos explaining how to remove tumors. Imagine a doc saying: "You can make 25K in an afternoon, if I can do it, you can do it..."

Uhhh maybe because anyone can open a trading account but not everyone can open a person's skull.

Not everyone that posts online has an ulterior motive behind doing so.

Thanked by:
 oceansailor 
Tampa FL

Platform: TradeStation
Thanks Given: 88
Thanks Received: 93

CoinFlipper View Post
The only thing I would like to add to this topic is that before making any "investment" on trading system, it is worth to ask:
Why these people are selling their hard work secrets for such small amount?

After a few years with this question I heard:
1) Ego - they like to show off, which does not make any sense to me because no one will recognize them in their circles.
2) Make more money - ridiculous, just scale up and see what happen
3) Try to find a real job - That sounds more reasonable, if they have the knowledge but don't have the money. They can prove themselves, promote and try to find a HF headhunter to bring them on board, although the chances are very low.
4) Academic - They have the will to teach something. it could be trading or cooking.

While I agree that a number of the cited "reasons" for these "gurus" to make videos make little sense, some - e.g., #2 - have a bit more subtlety to them than the black-and-white "haha, so ridiculous" interpretation. Scaling up is not all that trivial - the number of contracts you trade is a direct result of your risk model, so you can't simply go from trading one lot to a hundred. Meanwhile, the effort necessary to make a video while you trade isn't all that much - and assuming you can talk a good line of patter and attract paying customers, the money that comes in has little to no risk/downside. Not to excuse any of them - I strongly believe that 999/1000 of these "gurus" are just smooth-talking fakers - but blithely dismissing everything for bad reasons will make you miss the bits of good advice that are out there.

Also, from a guy who has spent a number of years creating Open Source software and running publications for the benefit of a community (e.g. Linux Gazette): #4 is quite a bit more important than you make it out to be, especially for successful people who feel that they owe something to the communities that helped them become successful. Much of my trading skill and ability came from being helped by successful traders who were happy to share their knowledge - strangers giving away something tremendously valuable to a guy they didn't know from Adam, simply because I asked them to help. I don't know about you, but I strongly believe that this imposes an obligation on me - and the greater the success, the greater the obligation - and I'm certainly not the only one who feels that way.

Last: the primary purpose and the direct goal of a trader is to make money - so for someone demonstrating how to trade, saying "you could restore someone's circulation and save their life with this technique" would make no sense - in the same way that it would make no sense for a doctor to talk about how much money you could make while demonstrating medical techniques. And there are plenty of medical education videos on YT - a former GF of mine who teaches nursing uses them quite extensively, and as a former medic, I found their quality to be excellent. (In fact, one of them specifically demonstrated removing a rather large brain tumor - she used it to underscore the principle of "saving the penumbra".)

Last Updated on March 30, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts