NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trailer Park Capitol

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one michaelroth with 315 posts (536 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 18 posts (54 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TheTradeSlinger with 17 posts (30 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 16 posts (60 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 5.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 3.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 michaelroth with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 50,497 views
    2. thumb_up 837 thanks given
    3. group 40 followers
    1. forum 412 posts
    2. attach_file 462 attachments

Search this Thread

Trailer Park Capitol

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 739
Thanks Received: 563

Back test February week 2

results YTD

31 wins
17 losses
48 total trades
$60235 gross win
$7675 gross loss
$46515 profit less fees/commission
55% win rate
7.8 profit factor
$1254 average win
$159 average loss
$1095 average trade

Day trading, so easy a caveman could do it.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Back test March 2021

results YTD

41wins
23 losses
64 total trades
$100480 gross win
$12305 gross loss
$79480 profit less fees/commission
44% win rate
8.2 profit factor
$1570 average win
$192 average loss
$1241 average trade

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,360

2 quick points

1. Any reason you are trading the June contract in Jan and Feb? The March contract is what you would have really been trading back then. That may or may not have an impact on your results.

2. Whenever I see a backtest look so good ($148K profit in 3 months!) I find the adage "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" is almost always true.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but unrealistic backtests usually lead to bad real time decisions. Hope I am wrong here.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

kevinkdog View Post
2 quick points

1. Any reason you are trading the June contract in Jan and Feb? The March contract is what you would have really been trading back then. That may or may not have an impact on your results.

2. Whenever I see a backtest look so good ($148K profit in 3 months!) I find the adage "if it looks too good to be true, it probably is" is almost always true.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but unrealistic backtests usually lead to bad real time decisions. Hope I am wrong here.

Hey Kevin!

How I am getting at this data is by telling Ninja Trader- go back 600 days from today, give me what you got. I'm assuming here that the data is from the contract of that time. These results are hand tabulated because one of the qualifiers of the strategy is that the 1-hour signal must be in the same direction of the last 4-hour signal, i.e. higher time frame continuity. I have no way to automate this.

Seeing as I have to take the time to do this all by hand, and that there is a danger of 'trying to paint too rosy a picture', I've tried to be as objective as I can. Each time I perform the back test on a week I try to be authentic to the strategy, which is actually pretty simple and easy to follow- Does this 1-hour signal match the 4-hour?

I'm sure that my results are not perfect, in my opinion no back test's are, but what I have been able to derive from the data has already proven to be useful and profitable- and weirdly realistic, albeit rather short term. This week I was able to forward test the strategy and was able to generate the same results that I was seeing week to week in the back tests.

In fact, if I would have followed the strategy faithfully to the end of the week, I would have also caught the massive sell off there at the end and brought that net up to around $15K. That's a pretty good week! Will next week be the same? Who knows?

For me, the value in this kind of testing multi-purpose. I am building up a library of weekly snap shots and indexing them in a way so that I reference them in the future. As I do so I am learning what conditions are favorable to the strategy that I am using. Last, I am calculating the odds. In this case I was simply happy to find that what I am attempting doesn't suck.

$148k in 3 months is possible, but I think I could do even better. In these tests I have been faithful to take the trade from signal to signal, even when it made no sense to do so. I think there is plenty of room for optimization here. This strategy is meant to be semi-automated and discretionary. The automation parts are meant to address those areas of my own human failings, fear and greed, by forcing the trade fear, and by force closing the trade, greed. Plus, I can't be on my charts 24/7! It's nice to have a way to open up a trade when there's a reason to do so and I'm not here. A guy's gotta sleep sometime. That leaves discretion, the true crux of trading.

I would argue there's no such thing as truly automated trading, that as we code it, we are telling it what to do, hence discretion. While there are aspects of discretion that are harmful trade wise, fear and greed, there are others that are beneficial, like being able to recognize patterns and trends. Humans are incredibly good at all of these. The way I see it, discretion IS optimization. Last Wednesday was a great example of how this strategy can be optimized.

At 2:00 AM the NQ printed a signal to the upside and the market drove higher in anticipation of the Netflix earnings report because all the experts said it was a buy, but when the report came out the market reacted to the negative earnings by selling off for the rest of the day. By following the strategy this would have resulted in a loss for the day, but it could have been easily avoided and there was plenty of time to do so.

Then there is scaling into winning positions. I could go on, but there's saying and doing, and none of this matters at a all unless it is done. Next week I plan to run this for the first time against MNQ in the Apex Funded evaluation. It's what I have to do because I a under capitalized. I may succeed, or I might fail, but it's of little consequence to me because right now it's only costing me $80 a month to try, and that's better than a kick in the head!

I actually enjoy the question Kevin. By doing so you give me a the opportunity to better evaluate what I am doing, and I love talking about this stuff! So thank you.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

I find it interesting that when presented with an opposing viewpoint ("your backtest is too good to be believed") you not only dismiss it ("$148k is possible") but you double down("I can even do better").

There are quite a few instances like that in this thread- a lot of helpful advice from many people glossed over.

maybe it is a case of the lesson only being learned when the person is truly ready for it.

of course, this is your bbq, so you cook the way you want.

Good Luck!

Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

kevinkdog View Post
I find it interesting that when presented with an opposing viewpoint ("your backtest is too good to be believed") you not only dismiss it ("$148k is possible") but you double down("I can even do better").

There are quite a few instances like that in this thread- a lot of helpful advice from many people glossed over.

maybe it is a case of the lesson only being learned when the person is truly ready for it.

of course, this is your bbq, so you cook the way you want.

Good Luck!

No Kevin, I know your street cred, and so your opinion holds weight with me, but your "backtest is too good to be believed" isn't advice. If can tell me how to trade well, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the luck.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

michaelroth View Post
No Kevin, I know your street cred, and so your opinion holds weight with me, but your "backtest is too good to be believed" isn't advice. If can tell me how to trade well, I'm all ears.

Thanks for the luck.

Oh, it is advice, make no mistake about it.

Think of my statement as me waving a giant red flag telling you "you are likely to make some bad decisions by believing that backtest." And it is even worse since you feel that backtest may be underestimating your performance.

I can't tell you exactly what might be wrong, since I did not run the backtest. But some areas of concern:

1. A backtest of only 3 months - BAD

2. Not including trading costs (especially slippage, especially for NQ, where 10 points of slippage on a stop is not unusual) - BAD

3. Performing a manual backtest - potentially BAD, depending on tester's ability and biases

There are a ton of other ways to mess up your backtest, too. But again, I have no idea what you may have done, other than the three I listed.

By the way, these are pretty common issues, things we have all done. Example: I used to get the best manual backtests with Al Brook's approach - live trading of the same rules as the backtest was a complete disaster though!

Thanked by:

AllSeeker 
Mumbai, India
Legendary Pratik_4Clover

Platform: TradingView & ZerodhaKite
Trading: NIFTY, BANKNIFTY
Frequency: Daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 5,249
Thanks Received: 5,014

This is not a criticism, nor am I expert, but just an observation.

From your charts, primary strategy seems to be based around moving average. A strategy that is based on moving averages will have much more drawdown than what your backtest is showing. Just call this my experience with coding indicators and throwing stuff in non-use can of internet.

Imo, might want to check this very carefully, moving average backtesting is awfully tricky, and in your case it seems to be "manual backtesting".

Just my 2 cents, again key thing here to note is I'm not criticising and I do not have any valuable street cred either

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Back test April 2021

results YTD

52 wins
28 losses
80 total trades
$126830 gross win
$17070 gross loss
$97515 profit less fees/commission
46% win rate
7.2 profit factor
$1585 average win
$213 average loss
$1218 average trade

COoneguy 
Denver Colorado USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Motivewave/Optimus Flow
Broker: Optimus/ AMP/ Ironbeam
Trading: es nq
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 19
Thanks Received: 39

Thanks for your journal posts. May I ask what size you are trading in these back tests? Thanks!

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

Last Updated on March 31, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts