NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Blackgrey45 Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one blackgrey45 with 415 posts (639 thanks)
    2. looks_two deaddog with 23 posts (20 thanks)
    3. looks_3 COoneguy with 12 posts (8 thanks)
    4. looks_4 DowDaddy with 9 posts (8 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Dmonz with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 blackgrey45 with 1.5 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 deaddog with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 58,690 views
    2. thumb_up 773 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 520 posts
    2. attach_file 13 attachments

Search this Thread

Blackgrey45 Journal

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP Global
Trading: MCL MES
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 912

No trades today, just doing back testing on crude.

I'm a crude oil day trader and I have the simple goal of trying to buy the low of the day and sell the high of the day.

I am back testing potential drawdowns for my strategy. If I buy new lows or sell new highs what is the biggest drawdown I experience in the last month. Average drawdown looks to be about 40 ticks before market moved in my direction. In the last month there was one trade with a drawdown of +200 ticks. If the trade remained in a drawdown I exited at the end of the day for a loss. It's probably important to have a specified stop loss in the market.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Strategy stop orders partially filled
EasyLanguage Programming

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

No trades today, AMP requires $145 day trading margin for the MCL and I only have $113 in my account.

Current thoughts are that I only have one rule: use a stop loss order or mental stop. There is no way I can let the market go against me 1000 ticks and just hold a loss like that.

What about buying lows and selling highs? This is how I approach the market but do not want to limit my opportunities so I am relaxing with this approach. I could be waiting all day for a new low/high and I like to trade a lot.

Thanked by:

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 185
Thanks Received: 4,088

blackgrey45 View Post

Current thoughts are that I only have one rule: use a stop loss order or mental stop.

What is the rationalization for using a "mental stop" when you can place a hard stop with your broker?

I would think that would lead you to making tough decisions in the heat of battle, never a good thing.

That being said I don't initially put hard stops in the market. I let the price trade below my calculated stop for one bar (I know you don't use charts and I'm trading daily bars) then place my hard stop below that bar.

Prevents me from being taken out when price dips temporarily on news or stop hunts.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

deaddog View Post
What is the rationalization for using a "mental stop" when you can place a hard stop with your broker?

I would think that would lead you to making tough decisions in the heat of battle, never a good thing.

That being said I don't initially put hard stops in the market. I let the price trade below my calculated stop for one bar (I know you don't use charts and I'm trading daily bars) then place my hard stop below that bar.

Prevents me from being taken out when price dips temporarily on news or stop hunts.

I use hard stops but prefer mental stops. Seems like there is a lot of price spikes and dips and I don't want a hard stop to be triggered just so the price rebounds and continues in the original direction.

deaddog 
Prince George BC Canada
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: National Bank Direct
Broker: NBD/BMO/Questrade
Trading: Stocks
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 185
Thanks Received: 4,088

blackgrey45 View Post
I use hard stops but prefer mental stops. Seems like there is a lot of price spikes and dips and I don't want a hard stop to be triggered just so the price rebounds and continues in the original direction.

At what point do you take your stop if price exceeds your mental stop?

How long do you let the trade move against you?

You must have figured out by now that market is conspiring against you and won't change directions until you close your position.

"The days when I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have really good days" RW Hubbard

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

deaddog View Post
At what point do you take your stop if price exceeds your mental stop?

How long do you let the trade move against you?

You must have figured out by now that market is conspiring against you and won't change directions until you close your position.

I have noticed the market turns when I exit a loss. I am realizing slowly that I need to exit a loss quickly after it goes against me.

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Trades in my live account

Plan: keep a tight stop on all positions

10:28am, MES, short @4526.00, Exit 4527.00, -$5
10:40am, MES, short @4528.00, Exit 4529.25, -$6.25
10:46am, MES, short @4525.00, Exit 4524.50, +$2.50 (Trailing stop)
12:08pm, MES, long @4525.25, Exit 4523.50, -$8.75
12:22pm, MES, Short @4524.00, Exit 4524.75, -$3.75
12:53pm, MES, short @4527.25, Exit 4528.00, -$3.75
1:18pm, MES, short @4528.00, Exit 4528.00, $0

Daily Result -$32.28 with fees

Thanked by:

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Trades in live account

Plan: keep a tight stop

12:21pm MES short 4495.00, Exit 4495.50, -$2.50
1:14pm MES short 4498, Exit 4499.25, -$6.25
1:16pm MES short 4501.25, Exit 4501, +$1.25 (trailing stop)

Trades tonight
9:34pm M6E short 1.0987 exit 1.0990 -$3.75
9:41pm M6E long 1.0985, exit 1.0984 @12:27am, -$1.25

Thanked by:

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

So I am back testing and trading two strategies and am now starting to choose one over the other.

First I will say that I believe that there are only two things that can happen in my trade, price can either go into profit or a loss. The goal is to make all the profits larger than all the losses. I choose to be in a world of two extremes, which outline the general idea of each one of my strategies.

Strategy 1 consists of many small losses and few large winning trades. For this strategy I use a very tight stop, usually a mental stop. Trading the micros I take an extremely small loss on each trade, typically 3-10 ticks. As the trade moves into a profit I move the stop up to break even, like a trailing stop. When do I exit a winning trade? When my will power is strong I would exit a winner for this strategy at the end of the day if the trade isn't stopped out. This opens the door to unlimited profits that could make up for the many small losses incurred on the way to the winning trade.

Strategy number 2 consists of taking quick profits(trading the micros, this is usually 5-15 ticks) and holding onto losses until they turn around. Naturally this will lead to a large percentage of trades that are winners and handful of large losses. How do I determine when to close a loss for this strategy? Well, the way I have been back testing this strategy is to hold a loss until the end of the day when I would close the loss.

I am finding through live trading and back testing that strategy number 1 is superior to producing profits but, in my opinion, is more painful to execute. The pain factor is due to the fact that the high loss rate percentage is psychologically difficult to handle, taking one loss after another. But the large winning trades, when they do seldom happen, more than make up for the paper cuts inflicted through many small losses. I think this is ultimately the right path for me but I am sure I will continue testing strategy number 2 on the side.

As you can see I value risk management very highly. My entries are timed using trends that last anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hrs. When the trend hits what looks like it's peak I fade the move. In short I sell highs and buy lows.

Thanked by:

blackgrey45 
Marco Island, FL
Legendary Market Wizard

Had one trade today, MES, 1 contract, long 4491.25, Exit for a breakeven.

I used a mental stop. Told myself to get out if price goes 5 ticks against me. Well price went 10 ticks against me and I didn't get out and held until it recovered. I think I got lucky that time. Need to keep working on discipline.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 29, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts