NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

MT trading journal and learning log

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one mindfultrader with 46 posts (29 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 3 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Trankuility with 2 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Anagami with 1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Trankuility with 1 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mindfultrader with 0.6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 0.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,469 views
    2. thumb_up 33 thanks given
    3. group 2 followers
    1. forum 50 posts
    2. attach_file 42 attachments

Search this Thread

MT trading journal and learning log

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 52
Thanks Received: 35

Trading Journal and Log 4-4-11
I will be trading sim for 4-4 to 4-7.
My focus is to practice my entries and exits and assess the details of my trading plan.
I am resistant to sim trading as I tell myself I am missing out if I do well. Recognizing this, I will use sim to develop my skills.
1115 AM So far I have placed 4 trades and notice that I cut myself off form profits even sim trading. Watching how my indicators move with price and how my entries are timed. Posting my trades on a spreadsheet as an attachment from now on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4-4.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	35870  
Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: MT Entries 4-4.docx
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

No trades today.

I am studying the feedback from the post about "wanting to change everything".

I am reviewing my own history of trading. I responded to the "Why do I trade?" post and that was helpful to really think about. I am reviewing the charts I use and why I chose the settings - what was my thinking about the indicators I chose and the chart frame. What keeps me from using divergences? What is my thinking about my entries and how did I develop them to begin with?

Obviously a lot is in question for me - particularly looking at my thinking for everything I have been doing or set up. What am I discovering is that much of what I have been doing has been revised so much (the wanting to change everything process) that I have never clearly decided on a clearly defined trading plan that I could follow for more than 2-4 days and then evaluate.

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Back to basics
Several years ago I took a course from Walter Bressert and learned about cycles using his cycle -trader. Very helpful at the time and was profitable. Then I started to change everything - revised indicators - tried new systems - but cycle trading with trend is still the background that informs my trading plans.
It is time to go back to basics - to re-adapt myself to the benefits of what I traded well, like to trade and understand to a great degree.
The simplicity of trading cycle tops and bottoms with trend and momentum - a trading plan that is easy to define and follow, with clear signals and stops and a way to identify profit targets.
I still have the old manuals and even VHS tapes of his course.
The indicators are simple:
a 23 and 50 moving average ( I have since revised the standard to hug/follow prices more closely), a 10 cycle double stochastic . Through experience I added 150 bar moving average , a stochastic to that measures/plots the cycle on a larger frame (example 3 times the entry frame) and revised 14/6 CCI to measure momentum with zeroline crosses. I also added a 5 bar moving average. Bressert traded time-based charts (3, 7 and 20 minute) and I trade either tick or share bar charts.
I will add the indicators and past them with charts the next few days.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4-6 sample chart.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	35995  
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal and Log 4-7
Today I continue to observe the basic trading plan I used a few years ago before I got caught up in finding the perfect indicator.. before I made a series of serious trading mistakes that I ignored in terms of their emotional impact on me.. before I was willing to own and take responsibility for my primary trading default pattern of avoiding losses which can never yield gains... before I really journaled and logged my trades for examination... before I was really ready to own and become a competent trader.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4-7 1200 tick chart with cycles.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	36093  
 mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Taking a coint education course today so no trading. looking forward to Monday.

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Miss trading as my schedule has me working on other projects in preparation for a workshop.
Over the weekend I reveiwed the 1200 tick chart and started to clarify my trading plan in writing. Though I had done that but this whole process has taught me differently.

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal and Log 4 -12
Trading RT today using my old and updated trading plan based on cycle-trend- momentum. All trades based on trend with 23-50 optimized WEMA.
remembering to shake it off when I enter is important to stabilize my nervous system after I get anxious.
Made 2 trades noted on chart - noticing how skittish I am after not trading RT for 5 days.

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Trading Journal and Log 4-13
I am skittish today - trading feel s like I am experimenting with touching a stove burner to check if it is hot. Thus, very hesitant. And let 3 great trades go by already by 700.
# 1 - 634premature exit - loss = 1 tick CS = 4
preceded to ignore next 2 trade signals
# 2 741 excellent entry - shook my body when the anxiety came - breathed and hit target of 4 ticks - original target was 7 ticks or 100% FIB extension of ret leg CS = 8
# 3 - 837 - excellent entry - NOTE THE 42 MOM DIFF IN THIS - EXITED EARLY EVEN THOUGH I SET A PROFIT TARGET - 2 TICKS - CS = 7
MY ENTRIES ARE GREATLY IMPROVING TODAY
#4 and 5 - wrote too soon on these trades I entered early - did not wait for cycle run signal to enter and got spanked - clearly, acting on anticipating a signal does not create a signal CS - 2
# 6 - waited for cyc turn sig to buy - 1308.5 target = 1310.25 CT trade CS - 2 error loss - momentum misread
# 7 - buy entry with clear signal at 1124 - hit 7 tick target CS = 10 this is the process I want to duplicate every trade I know this setup and was waiting for it to appear
It is important for me to study how i did this trade - relaxed with target and stop in place and shook my body when I got anxious to shake off the impulse to exit prematurely
# 8 1145 exc entry on ret and cyc bot for 3 ticks CS = 9
a small losing day for me and a day of great learning - noted my body relaxing more and trusting signals

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Have been taking time off form trading to reassess what I hav been doing and complete a trading plan - working on my own style. I have always thought iof msyelfas a scalp trader and am now redefining what I mean by that.

mindfultrader 
Seattle Washington

Well after several days of takign time form teh markets and I getting refocused. Next week staring 5/2 I will be trading every morning using better entry and exits defintions.

Last Updated on May 16, 2011

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts