NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why do you use Sierra Chart?

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Japhro with 6 posts (10 thanks)
    2. looks_two puma with 5 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mattz with 5 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Oysteryx with 5 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one kroz with 13 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ninjus with 11 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 8.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mattz with 3.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 90,729 views
    2. thumb_up 230 thanks given
    3. group 79 followers
    1. forum 111 posts
    2. attach_file 7 attachments

Search this Thread

Why do you use Sierra Chart?

ninjus 
Chiang Mai Thailand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Seirra Chart
Broker: Stage5 + Denali
Trading: MNQ
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 1,223
Thanks Received: 2,336

MecJnk View Post
Frankly after a week and a half of trying to setup their 'free' trail, I am not sure why people will actually go with Sierra Chart vs other platforms.

There customer service is horrendous (and that's putting it nicely).

Their setup process and documentation is not straight forward. If you have a questions and submit a ticket (only form of communicating with them - no email and no phone# to call), they will response with cryptic short messages with links to their not so clear information pages. And if you keep asking for clarification you get responses like:
  • "You know you really are not paying attention to basic facts which are right in front of you"
  • "Anyway, we are going to cancel the data feed because it is just a waste of time and you obviously are not paying attention"
  • "Look at all of the nonsense and time that we put up with related to this."

Yes, those were actual response from them.

SC expects you to be self-service but they don't even have a video library showing you how to setup or use any of their functionalities. And their informational pages are long and not too straight forward as I mentioned. And it doesn't help that their site looks like my 8 yr old created it. Extremely outdated and so is their GUI. But I was willing to give them a shot, after all its all the functionality under the hood that you keep hearing about that you're interested in right! It's what's on the inside that counts, right

Seriously, why would anyone pay for such customer service (or lack of)?

oh and their "free" trial is really not free, unless, you're only interested in Forex or cryto trading (I think) and will have limited functions. But if you're interested in futures trading you'll have to pay $5 for a week of data for the "CME with Market Depth for nonprofessional Trading accounts" but this price price is only valid if you link a funded account to Sierra Chart, else you have to pay the $42 for the data. So not exactly 'free' is you ask me.

So what does Sierra Chart have that others don't? I keep reading 'TPO' and 'Footprint' but doesn't NinjaTrader have that? and am sure others do too.

Unless, they have a feature that you must absolutely have to have and nobody else has it... and you accept the fact that you'll be on your own with no "customer service" from them. Then, I'll would just stay away from them.

Everything you said is true but Sierra is still amazing!

Persist (it's worth it) or move on.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Marcus Aurelius
"Not to assume it's impossible because you find it hard. But to recognize that if it's humanly possible, you can do it too"

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle

josh 
Georgia, US
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: SC
Broker: Denali+Rithmic
Trading: ES, NQ, YM
Thanks Given: 6,784
Thanks Received: 18,257

MecJnk View Post

So what does Sierra Chart have that others don't? I keep reading 'TPO' and 'Footprint' but doesn't NinjaTrader have that? and am sure others do too.

I don't pay for customer service really, because I rarely use it -- I pay for a superior product. But, when I need service, I post to their forums, and within hours, always, I receive a response. Sometimes the response is, "we will implement this" and sometime it's "we do not support this and won't." Either way, their response is clear, and straightforward, and if you don't like it, you can get on with your life -- they don't mislead you into thinking they're going to do something when they have no intention of doing so.

SC has what I need:
* fast
* feature-filled DOM
* easy-to-draw profiles
* stable -- it never crashes, ever (really, ever)
* outstanding documentation
* great features that are the direct result of customer feedback (several features are present which I personally requested)
* wide range of brokers/data connectivity
* incredibly affordable, the cheapest I can think of, actually

SC is actually used by some professional traders, in some actual prop firms (ones that trade futures, not so for equity-first firms). Traders are generally concerned first with the performance of their platform, and that it lets them do what they need to do. Usability is important, but once you know how to use your platform, and can customize what you need to, you are over the learning curve.

The irony of your complaint is that they actually listen to their customers. The platform has evolved over the years in large part to the SC team listening to customer feedback. They have not increased their prices, and they come in significantly cheaper than most any other software. SC uses a standard windows UI toolkit. It's not the best, but it's quite usable. Basically, it's a non-issue, when you actually use the software to trade, rather than admire how beautiful your setup is.

I will share some screen shots -- do you not think they're pretty enough?

GJStrader
St Louis, MO

Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 12

1) How long have you been using Sierra Chart?
4 months

2) What are your favorite features of Sierra Chart?
Immense functionality... if I have an idea, SC is capable.

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in Sierra Chart that you could not do without?
numbers bars, order flow analysis, volume profile, TPO profile

4) Do you use Sierra Chart in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
both

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does Sierra Chart help you with this?
discretionary, SC is algo capable tho and look forward to dabbling in it... only limitation is me right now

6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use Sierra Chart?
fairly hard... need to be computer literate and spend a lot of time in their online docs and combing the internet for how-to's

7) How do you rate Sierra Chart's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
no phone support... all online docs & support board. Can tend to be not customer friendly.

8) Do you believe Sierra Chart is competitively priced?
very

9) How do you rate the community support that exists for Sierra Chart?
info is out there if you search hard enough

lettuce
San Francisco, California

Thanks Given: 10
Thanks Received: 8

josh View Post
I don't pay for customer service really, because I rarely use it -- I pay for a superior product. But, when I need service, I post to their forums, and within hours, always, I receive a response. Sometimes the response is, "we will implement this" and sometime it's "we do not support this and won't." Either way, their response is clear, and straightforward, and if you don't like it, you can get on with your life -- they don't mislead you into thinking they're going to do something when they have no intention of doing so.

SC has what I need:
* fast
* feature-filled DOM
* easy-to-draw profiles
* stable -- it never crashes, ever (really, ever)
* outstanding documentation
* great features that are the direct result of customer feedback (several features are present which I personally requested)
* wide range of brokers/data connectivity
* incredibly affordable, the cheapest I can think of, actually

SC is actually used by some professional traders, in some actual prop firms (ones that trade futures, not so for equity-first firms). Traders are generally concerned first with the performance of their platform, and that it lets them do what they need to do. Usability is important, but once you know how to use your platform, and can customize what you need to, you are over the learning curve.

The irony of your complaint is that they actually listen to their customers. The platform has evolved over the years in large part to the SC team listening to customer feedback. They have not increased their prices, and they come in significantly cheaper than most any other software. SC uses a standard windows UI toolkit. It's not the best, but it's quite usable. Basically, it's a non-issue, when you actually use the software to trade, rather than admire how beautiful your setup is.

I will share some screen shots -- do you not think they're pretty enough?

I totally agree with Josh. I have subscribed with Sierra Chart for their awesome platform and I rarely use their customer service. It takes seconds to start the platform and get connected to the data feed in my relatively old computer that has i7 6700k, 16gb RAM. The plethora of features available makes this platform superb for the price you pay.

Thanked by:
Average Joe
Singapore

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 13

1) How long have you been using Sierra Chart?
More than 1 year.

2) What are your favorite features of Sierra Chart?
light loading on PC.

3) What are some must-have deal breaker features in Sierra Chart that you could not do without?
Interactive brokers integration.

4) Do you use Sierra Chart in simulation mode only, or do you place live trades with it?
both

5) Are you a discretionary trader or an algorithmic trader? How does Sierra Chart help you with this?
discretionary but learning algo.

6) How easy/hard was it for you to learn to use Sierra Chart?
Thanks to youtube, and helpful users such as Tomglib, otherwise I would give up long ago. They could organize a set of starter videos for beginners if they have not done so already.

7) How do you rate Sierra Chart's customer service/support, assuming you have needed to use it?
They are too emotional whenever I mentioned IB, otherwise it is a 50/50 chance to get a solution if you ask for help. Good news is it teaches us to find answers on our own. If you cannot do that you should not be trading.

8) Do you believe Sierra Chart is competitively priced?
getting more expensive. Might be a good thing to breed new competitors though.

9) How do you rate the community support that exists for Sierra Chart?
Without community support and youtube, I see the impossibility in using SC for normal users.

Thanked by:
wisp
vancouver, BC

Thanks Given: 89
Thanks Received: 16

MecJnk View Post
Frankly after a week and a half of trying to setup their 'free' trail, I am not sure why people will actually go with Sierra Chart vs other platforms.

Their setup process and documentation is not straight forward. If you have a questions and submit a ticket (only form of communicating with them - no email and no phone# to call), they will response with cryptic short messages with links to their not so clear information pages. And if you keep asking for clarification you get responses like:
  • "You know you really are not paying attention to basic facts which are right in front of you"
  • "Anyway, we are going to cancel the data feed because it is just a waste of time and you obviously are not paying attention"

SC expects you to be self-service but they don't even have a video library showing you how to setup or use any of their functionalities. And their informational pages are long and not too straight forward as I mentioned. And it doesn't help that their site looks like my 8 yr old created it. Extremely outdated and so is their GUI. But I was willing to give them a shot, after all its all the functionality under the hood that you keep hearing about that you're interested in right! It's what's on the inside that counts, right

oh and their "free" trial is really not free, unless, you're only interested in Forex or cryto trading (I think) and will have limited functions. But if you're interested in futures trading you'll have to pay $5 for a week of data for the "CME with Market Depth for nonprofessional Trading accounts" but this price price is only valid if you link a funded account to Sierra Chart, else you have to pay the $42 for the data. So not exactly 'free' is you ask me.

Unless, they have a feature that you must absolutely have to have and nobody else has it... and you accept the fact that you'll be on your own with no "customer service" from them. Then, I'll would just stay away from them.

I have to disagree, Sierrachart support is awesome. They are not diplomatic, but they are good at what they are doing, including support. If anyone is interested in knowing more about this communication posted by MecJnk, you can check this thread https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=46740

Thanked by:
ycomp
Europe-ish

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 58

MecJnk View Post

lol judging a platform by how good its free trial is.. well bookmap is definitely out of consideration as well then, as well as most platforms if you want free data with the trial.

I for one am happy that Sierra uses an "outdated GUI"... it's written in C++, which means that the platform is not going to have performance issues the way that .NET platforms can (I know some people have not experienced this, but when you do.. it's the worst thing as it hits .NET platforms when there is a lot of volatility.. not during the quiet times when you can have more time to deal with the issue)... there is a reason games are written in C++ not .NET

I'll tell you one "feature" that Sierra does not have that platforms like Ninjatrader and ATAS do... I've never seen Sierra open new positions in the opposite direction when trying to close positions. This has happened to me on both ninja and ATAS... on ninja it actually opened several shorts because I hit the chart trader close button multiple times on a long. Ninjatrader has a nice long page explaining why this happens.

Also, I know most people don't need this but I'll take Sierra's ACSIL over ninjatrader's ninjascript any day... and I can program.. but still I'd rather do it the easier way. Still it's no TradeStation EasyLanguage or TradingView Pinescript.. those are the absolute easiest ways to program platforms...

The big problem with Sierra chart going forward is the removal of Rithmic support and I wouldn't be surprised if CQG is eventually dropped as well...

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,523
Thanks Received: 26,292

MecJnk View Post

Interesting that there's been so much written in response to a dissatisfied user's complaints about issues with setting up a free trial, and I guess I'll toss in my thoughts too.

Of course, I have no way to judge this individual case, since I wasn't there. I'm not saying anything for or against the position of the user nor of Sierra Chart, and the user's experience is the user's experience, not mine to judge.

But, based just on my own experience over several years now:

- I have seen SC support getting short-tempered and dismissive of other users before, although not as often as their reputation suggests.

- I have never had a bad experience with their support myself. I do try to check the documentation, which is not always as easy to use as I would like, but which does always have what I am looking for, when I find it.

- I never had trouble setting up SC initially when I was first looking it over. I have had to work at understanding everything it does. It does take an effort to get there.

- I never had difficulty understanding anything about pricing, which is very clear. I also knew when I came in what the CME rules about free trial data are, and did not expect anything other than what I found with SC.

- I have been around this block before, and I know by now what to expect coming in, in terms of needing to understand a new system. I do not think that I should be sending requests for help to support unless I have tried every reasonable alternative, and, to repeat, have read the documentation. I think there may be others with real problems they need resolved, possibly relating to real trades, and I don't want to clog the queue with my newbie questions.

- On the very few occasions when I have found a real, reproducible software bug (I think twice, maybe three times), they jumped on it, fixed it, and released a new version within a day or two. I think I had one business issue with them (something about money, I don't recall now), and they resolved it professionally and quickly.

I could go on, but I hope the point has been made. It can be tough to learn. The learning curve is steep sometimes. Perhaps the platform is not for everyone. Perhaps the customer service, which is obviously done by technically-minded people who get impatient quickly, is not for everyone either. Certainly not for people who never read the directions first.

But it's a great trading platform that will do just about anything I have ever asked it to do. And it's fast, and doesn't get bogged down if it has to do a lot of things at once -- it just does them. And it is absolutely stable. All of which is what I was looking for.

As with everything else, not everyone will like it, and if it doesn't fit well with someone, they should move on. But if fits me fine.

Bob.

When one door closes, another opens.
-- Cervantes, Don Quixote
wisp
vancouver, BC

Thanks Given: 89
Thanks Received: 16

Is Sierrachart free with Gff Brokers? Thanks.

trepidation 
San Jose, California

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 167

wisp View Post
Is Sierrachart free with Gff Brokers? Thanks.

If you open an account with AMP Futures, you can get Sierra Charts Level 3 (missing some orderflow tools) for free ($25/month for full) and if you choose to only look at the top bid/ask with CQG for 1 exchange (CME for example which provides ES/NQ and FX) your monthly data fee would be $2 dollars.. which is pretty much unbeatable.

The reason why I switched from Ninjatrader (I bought the lifetime license) to Sierra Charts is because the support on Ninjatrader is non-existent and advanced tool require you to purchase a license form a third party vendor whereas Sierra Charts basically comes with it all out of the box. It's a pain in the ass to setup, but once you learn their the idiosyncrasies of the platform it's unbeatable in terms of out of the box functionality and performance in my opinion. To simplify the setup process, it's good to start with templates (chartbooks) that others have created and then use that as a foundation to learn the platform... as the default appearance is hideous.

edit:
So it appears that you pay for what you get. Sierracharts was supplementing CQG's data with their own, but moving forward they will cease to do that meaning you'll only get intraday data for the current contract month. You will however get the daily data. Here's the announcement:

https://www.sierrachart.com/SupportBoard.php?ThreadID=58506

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 1, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts