NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A Cowboy's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bmtrading9 with 726 posts (926 thanks)
    2. looks_two Inletcap with 28 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Blash with 20 posts (44 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 15 posts (36 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Inletcap with 2.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bmtrading9 with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 122,765 views
    2. thumb_up 1,325 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 893 posts
    2. attach_file 273 attachments

Search this Thread

A Cowboy's Trading Journal

bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: MC and Jigsaw
Trading: ES, MES
Thanks Given: 3,001
Thanks Received: 2,159

Day structure

https://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2009/12/trading-process-day-structure.html?m=1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

Relative volume and volatility

https://traderfeed.blogspot.com/2009/01/relative-volume-and-volatility.html?m=1

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

I have been thinking about so many things related to trading, for example context, intermarket relationship, FOMC, rate hikes etc etc. what I forgot is I don't have experience (I am gaining that knowledge but still long way to go) in recognizing all those factors well ahead to take advantage and it is definitely above my pay grade. I am also not so good in adapting quickly (working on that).

But, what I forgot is PRICE will CAPTURE and REFLECT all these relationships isn't it? If I can just follow PRICE using a very simple method that would be enough. Anyway I don't want to do day trading because of my impulsiveness.

So what I need?

1. Very simple TREND FOLLOWING method (may be as simple as a moving average etc...)

2. Big enough time frame to eliminate whipsaws (I am leaning towards 2hr time frame)

3. STOP based on VOLATILITY (Leaning towards ATR)

4. This is very important (CONTROLLING MIND - NOT SECOND GUESSING CONSTANTLY)

Any ideas out there?

bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

bmtrading9 View Post
I have been thinking about so many things related to trading, for example context, intermarket relationship, FOMC, rate hikes etc etc. what I forgot is I don't have experience (I am gaining that knowledge but still long way to go) in recognizing all those factors well ahead to take advantage and it is definitely above my pay grade. I am also not so good in adapting quickly (working on that).

But, what I forgot is PRICE will CAPTURE and REFLECT all these relationships isn't it? If I can just follow PRICE using a very simple method that would be enough. Anyway I don't want to do day trading because of my impulsiveness.

So what I need?

1. Very simple TREND FOLLOWING method (may be as simple as a moving average etc...)

2. Big enough time frame to eliminate whipsaws (I am leaning towards 2hr time frame)

3. STOP based on VOLATILITY (Leaning towards ATR)

4. This is very important (CONTROLLING MIND - NOT SECOND GUESSING CONSTANTLY)

Any ideas out there?

I know I have trust a system if it's showed good results in backtesting but I didn't...My system said short at 2091 but it was chopping before hence missed the entry....working on my fourth point.

Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

As I mentioned before I always look for mean reversion trades that and loss aversion always bite me in the ass...So why do I need to find highs and bottoms to place trades? If my points are accurate enough I will get entry but what If I wait for confirmation and enter the trade in the direction of trend and manage it with STOPS that would have helped me in the long term...but in choppy environment I will get chopped up let it be as long as I am profitable overall that shouldn't be an issue...and more over chop means ending of the trend....so today the system I am testing with gave me a sell signal at 2092 but missed it because that signal came in the night around 2 AM. and price bounced of last week's low....

I am sure many will not like the idea of moving average but last 3 months/3 years back testing is giving me good results but can I trust TOS results?, I don't know so I am going try ninjatrader for back testing...let me see, I prefer to automate this but I need good results before doing it.

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,247
Thanks Received: 101,669

bmtrading9 View Post
I know I have trust a system if it's showed good results in backtesting

You shouldn't. The way most people backtest it's just curve fitting and has low probability of correlation to future events.

Mike

Join the free Markets Chat beta: one platform, all the trade rooms!

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

Big Mike View Post
You shouldn't. The way most people backtest it's just curve fitting and has low probability of correlation to future events.

Mike

I agree, what I want to rely on is PRICE because all these correlations will translate into price. As I recognize I don't have expertise (I am trying to gain, thanks once again to you and all the traders here) to clearly identify these nuances ahead of time. Also, I am not a full-time trader to be trading Intra-day and I recognize that I am not fast enough to adapt to quick changes but I want to be successful, that desire is fueling me enough to learn proper risk management, position management etc...I am fine with the lag as long as I am in the proper trend direction. Thanks for all the help.

PeakGrowth 
Sydney, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, IRESS
Broker: IB, IQFeed
Trading: ES, SPI, ASX stocks, options
Thanks Given: 169
Thanks Received: 465

bmtrading9 View Post
As I mentioned before I always look for mean reversion trades that and loss aversion always bite me in the ass...So why do I need to find highs and bottoms to place trades? If my points are accurate enough I will get entry but what If I wait for confirmation and enter the trade in the direction of trend and manage it with STOPS that would have helped me in the long term...but in choppy environment I will get chopped up let it be as long as I am profitable overall that shouldn't be an issue...and more over chop means ending of the trend....so today the system I am testing with gave me a sell signal at 2092 but missed it because that signal came in the night around 2 AM. and price bounced of last week's low....

I am sure many will not like the idea of moving average but last 3 months/3 years back testing is giving me good results but can I trust TOS results?, I don't know so I am going try ninjatrader for back testing...let me see, I prefer to automate this but I need good results before doing it.

There is nothing wrong with looking for mean reversion trades at highs or bottoms - they allow for good RR. If you back tested your timeframe and your statistical analysis tells you the probability of price reaching past a certain point is lower (SD1, SD2...etc), trading contrarian at that point will give you an edge - this is your trade location edge. This is why a lot of people use VP, it shows you those areas.

Your execution edge is reading order flow/price to find the turn at that point, not blindly fading into momentum. This is where CD/TS/DOM comes in. Waiting for confirmation is too slow, ES is too choppy and there are not enough trends. You have to be in at the turn, not after the confirmation - your RR becomes exponentially worse if you wait for too much confirmation.

If you only read price you will get chopped up because you don't have a statistical edge in your trade location - this is why almost all indicators "don't work", when infact, they do work - if proper context is observed and applied.

Also your chop issue is because your stops are too tight, if you are a fading tops/bottoms, you have to be very generous with your stops, especially on the ES.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

PeakGrowth View Post
There is nothing wrong with looking for mean reversion trades at highs or bottoms - they allow for good RR. If you back tested your timeframe and your statistical analysis tells you the probability of price reaching past a certain point is lower (SD1, SD2...etc), trading contrarian at that point will give you an edge - this is your trade location edge. This is why a lot of people use VP, it shows you those areas.

Your execution edge is reading order flow/price to find the turn at that point, not blindly fading into momentum. This is where CD/TS/DOM comes in. Waiting for confirmation is too slow, ES is too choppy and there are not enough trends. You have to be in at the turn, not after the confirmation - your RR becomes exponentially worse if you wait for too much confirmation.

If you only read price you will get chopped up because you don't have a statistical edge in your trade location - this is why almost all indicators "don't work", when infact, they do work - if proper context is observed and applied.

Also your chop issue is because your stops are too tight, if you are a fading tops/bottoms, you have to be very generous with your stops, especially on the ES.

Excellent mate, I agree ES is too slow for mean reversion trading, maybe CL but I don't have guts to touch it...I got burnt once with oil, still I look for some swing trades in oil and gold though if chart looks decent enough dip buy.

PeakGrowth 
Sydney, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, IRESS
Broker: IB, IQFeed
Trading: ES, SPI, ASX stocks, options
Thanks Given: 169
Thanks Received: 465

bmtrading9 View Post
Excellent mate, I agree ES is too slow for mean reversion trading, maybe CL but I don't have guts to touch it...I got burnt once with oil, still I look for some swing trades in oil and gold though if chart looks decent enough dip buy.

Might have missed the point - MR is good for ES because of how badly it trends, slow is only relative - you can normalise the pace of the market by using a tick chart instead of a time chart. I trade ETH, which means a MR trade can play out over 3 or 4 hours if I open one during the Asian session, however, speed is not an issue as the same scenario can play out regardless if it took 15mins or 3hours - the chart looks the same as the tick chart normalises the pace.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Last Updated on January 6, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts