NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

A Cowboy's Trading Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one bmtrading9 with 726 posts (926 thanks)
    2. looks_two Inletcap with 28 posts (82 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Blash with 20 posts (44 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 15 posts (36 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Inletcap with 2.9 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Blash with 2.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 bmtrading9 with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 122,641 views
    2. thumb_up 1,325 thanks given
    3. group 29 followers
    1. forum 893 posts
    2. attach_file 273 attachments

Search this Thread

A Cowboy's Trading Journal

bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: MC and Jigsaw
Trading: ES, MES
Thanks Given: 3,001
Thanks Received: 2,159

One thing I noticed is I am loosing my focus and attention during trading day because of my urge to finish tweaking the method etc. so this week my focus would be just concentrating on entries. Anyway I was able to put alerts on server side in TOS this weekend I have to see now if I get proper alerts to my email/text.

Also, I noticed all my intra-day calls are spot on but couldn't act on them because of fear because previously that's what got me in trouble i.e acting on my intra-day calls and couldn't reverse quick enough and ending up the holding a much bigger loosing position.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
What broker to use for trading palladium futures
Commodities
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,525
Thanks Received: 26,292

bmtrading9 View Post
Also, I noticed all my intra-day calls are spot on but couldn't act on them because of fear because previously that's what got me in trouble i.e acting on my intra-day calls and couldn't reverse quick enough and ending up the holding a much bigger loosing position.

I definitely understand that issue.

But as I understand it, you've got a fairly formal, rule-based trend-following system. That may or may not work out (I hope it does), but it does oblige you to set your feelings aside and pull the trigger.

What would happen if you put in place a fixed loss-control rule-set (maybe, "I stop for the day if I am down "x" amount" or "if I have "y" number of losing trades" or something else that is very mechanical), and then let your method rip?

Basically, trend-following works all the time, except when it doesn't. So one of the things to do is find a way to handle the whipsaws, the non-trending times. Perhaps in the method itself, perhaps with external loss-control rules, perhaps both.

Just a suggestion. I am not at all making light of the emotional issues that can arise in taking the risks of trading, but the more we can minimize the consequences of possible losses, the better -- and the more control we can have, emotionally.

I'm following your journal with interest, hope it works out well for you.

Bob.

bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

bobwest View Post
I definitely understand that issue.

But as I understand it, you've got a fairly formal, rule-based trend-following system. That may or may not work out (I hope it does), but it does oblige you to set your feelings aside and pull the trigger.

What would happen if you put in place a fixed loss-control rule-set (maybe, "I stop for the day if I am down "x" amount" or "if I have "y" number of losing trades" or something else that is very mechanical), and then let your method rip?

Basically, trend-following works all the time, except when it doesn't. So one of the things to do is find a way to handle the whipsaws, the non-trending times. Perhaps in the method itself, perhaps with external loss-control rules, perhaps both.

Just a suggestion. I am not at all making light of the emotional issues that can arise in taking the risks of trading, but the more we can minimize the consequences of possible losses, the better -- and the more control we can have, emotionally.

I'm following your journal with interest, hope it works out well for you.

Bob.

@bobwest Thanks for your suggestion, yes you are right trend following system is the next best to imaginary holygrail indicator/system but it doesn't work when it doesn't and emotions will go thru roof for worse if you are using leverage. In volatile times like this one has to adjust the method, time frame and stops. Emotions, I cannot avoid but what I can do as suggested in mindfulness just notice and let them go and concentrate on method and what's going right now instead of thinking too much about what will be happening next.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

Not a good start to the week

Trade - 1

Sold YM at 16116

Initial Trailing stop of 100

Clearly didn't wait for signal, but previously when I waited I never got entry

Trade - 2

Sold YM at 16145

Again pulled the trigger early

Now average is 16130 so full 100 point stop on two contracts would be at 16180

Stop hit took full 100 point loss on 2 contracts

Loss = 100 points

Trade - 3

Sold YM 16179

Covered at 16144

Profit = 35

Thanked by:

HumbleTrader 
Vancouver Canada
Legendary , Always learning

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Investor RT
Broker: IB & IQ DTN
Trading: Oh what a tangled web I weave, When I want to take profits in trading
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Years
Thanks Given: 3,438
Thanks Received: 3,012

bmtrading9 View Post

Trade - 1
Sold YM ...... Clearly didn't wait for signal, but previously when I waited I never got entry

Trade - 2
Sold YM ...... Again pulled the trigger early

Loss = 100 points

Trade - 3
Sold YM

Profit = 35

Thanks for sharing your P&L.

Would you be willing to describe some aspects of entry and exit signal so that we can learn the logic and improve our execution?

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

Narcissus View Post
Thanks for sharing your P&L.

Would you be willing to describe some aspects of entry and exit signal so that we can learn the logic and improve our execution?

Sure, I realized that volatility increased and we are in a clear controlled selling mode so I kept my 2 hr trend system aside for now not that it doesn't work but too much of volatility so we have to adjust so current method/trend I was observing was

Sell at ADR high's and buy at ADR low's

What I noticed is first entry always works but If I miss some how then wait for divergence (take any momentum divergence, I am using SMI) and put entry and exit (stop or profit) at 100 points on YM (i.e $500)

Let's say we breach ADR high's and low's then based on conditions I have to exit for small loss and evaluate....

If we are in deep oversold/over bought then I will try to enter at 1.5 or 1.618 or 1.786 ADR_H/ADR_L but we need to get divergence

this is only temporary method I am looking at but trend following is the best methods....I am also looking at round number method which is called "The Program" in this forum...that seems to be working very well.

Bottom line is we have to adjust....

Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

bmtrading9 View Post

Trade - 1

Sold YM at 16116

Trade - 2

Sold YM at 16145

Loss = 100 points

Trade - 3

Sold YM 16179

Covered at 16144

Profit = 35

This got to be kidding me, I pulled trigger on my first trade thinking that I already missed the move instead of waiting a little and put limit order I pulled trigger and sold at market...Hindsight original trailing stop of 100 points would have worked or better entry would be at 16160 - 16170...

Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

After initial setback looks like my mind is not in control so taking a break here. VOLSPD are at high so no shorting unless we reach extreme levels, I am leaning towards buying weakness but it looks like for me just stay out and be calm might help.

Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

CTICK hugging lows but VOLSPD's are not at lows price is churning inside OR and looks Y-HVN is acting as a support for now. One thing I learned hardway is don't go against VOLSPD's.

Thanked by:
 bmtrading9 
Atlanta, GA, USA
Market Wizard

bmtrading9 View Post

Trade - 1

Sold YM at 16116

Trade - 2

Sold YM at 16145

Loss = 100 points

Trade - 3

Sold YM 16179

Covered at 16144

Profit = 35

Good plan crappy execution

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last Updated on January 6, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts