NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

SoftSoap's NQ Journey - from SoftSoap to SoftGold

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one SoftSoap with 332 posts (753 thanks)
    2. looks_two Big Mike with 10 posts (25 thanks)
    3. looks_3 WOW CO with 6 posts (5 thanks)
    4. looks_4 KahunaDog with 6 posts (7 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 2.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SoftSoap with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 davidtaylor with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 aquarian1 with 1.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 70,067 views
    2. thumb_up 926 thanks given
    3. group 67 followers
    1. forum 432 posts
    2. attach_file 623 attachments

Search this Thread

SoftSoap's NQ Journey - from SoftSoap to SoftGold

SoftSoap 
Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: InteractiveBrokers
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 347
Thanks Received: 1,227

• First week of the year was very bullish, we did not dip from the open
  • Range was ~90/135
  • We broke all time highs
  • 5,000 was broken easily, we didn't even see the market slow for more than 15 minutes around it
  • We opened up even higher
  • Volume was still low ~ 500K
  • Job reports came in lower than expected
  • No huge news this week
  • We are currently sitting at all time highs
  • Volume hasn't quite picked up as much, only 1 day last week was above ATR (Friday)

News
  • Monday - China CPI and PPI (ON)
  • Thursday - ECB minutes (Pre), Jobless claims, China Merchandise Trade Balance (ON)
  • Friday - PPI and Retail Sales. Some banks also report Q4 earnings Friday (BAC, JPM, WFC)

Goals this week
  1. Post your 2017 Goals & Objectives on FIO

These will be my daily psychology goals this week
  • 0 FOMO trades
  • 0 Emotional trades
  • Engage deliberate thinking in all trades
  • Do not get greedy with trades
  • Abide by trade management standard
  • Do not break any golden or silver risk management rules
  • Set alarms and walk away during non-critical periods
  • Maximum of 3 trades per day. Only take a 3rd trade if you would still be up 0.75% after a loss. Only exception is crazy event out of nowhere.
  • All trades must be part of plan / scenarios / setups
  • Do not look at P&L until Friday
  • No trading while the market is ‘flat

Yesterday's excellence is today's standard and tomorrow's mediocrity
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
About a successful futures trader who didnt know anythin …
Psychology and Money Management
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart

SoftSoap 
Canada

• First day back to trading, feeling a bit tired and haven't quite gotten used to waking up at 530 again, I didn't get out of bed until like 645 this morning
  • Low range ON session, stayed between 5000 and 5017 to the tick, no new high was established (high 5017 set last Friday)
  • Low volume during ON as well
  • No news coming out today

Scenarios
  1. Continue this bull rally, we open up ~flat or get close to 5000, we then move up bullish from that and set a new all time high record, creeping bull market with very few opportunities to short (if any). This would be the 4th bull trend day in a row
  2. Low range sideways market - Balance between 5000 and 5020 for the day
  3. Market opens up bear, we test the 5000 area and pullback a bit, then we test it again and break it and start to trend down until ~4775, then we continue the creeping bull rally
  4. We see a correction or a slight pullback (long-term wise) in the market. We open up slightly bull til ~5010 or 5020, we then trend bear for the rest of the day. Easily breaking the 5000, pulling back at the ~4975 area, and trending down until ~4950
  5. We continue bull rally and break new all time highs, we then keep going up until we hit a strong wall of sellers. Strong reversal signs should be there and it could be anywhere, watch the ES/YM for a milestone number to potentially cause this

Setups I'll take today

1. ~Somewhere above all time high record
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for very strong reversal signs
    • You are unlikely to take this setup as signs need to be very strong that we are seeing a daily reversal, or a weekly timeframe pullback. But the option is there.
  2. ~5020
    • LF Short
    • All time high record is 5017
    • You are looking for strong signs of a reversal, exhaustion is not a good enough reason to enter this
    • Stop behind 5020 is a must, behind 5026 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5003, stretch is 4996, 3rd stretch is 4984 but you must guarantee 14 pts of profit to aim for it
  3. ~5020
    • LF Long
    • This is a continued break out
    • Stop behind 5017 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5034, stretch is 5038, 3rd stretch is 5048 but there should be little-to-no resistance signs out there
  4. ~5000
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for strong buying around here
    • Stop behind 4995 is ideal, behind 4999 is a must
    • Safe target is 5014, stretch is 5019, 3rd stretch is 5024, 4th stretch is time based if we are in a bull trend day but you must guarantee 15 pts of profit to go for it
  5. ~5000
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for a breakdown trade here
    • Be careful not to take a pre break down trade
    • Stop behind 5005 is ideal
    • Safe target is 4983, stretch is 4976, 3rd stretch is 4961
  6. ~4975
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for the continued break down
    • If the market sees a strong daily correction, then you can scale in with a 2nd contract here and aim for the ~4960-4952 area
  7. ~4975
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for signs of a reversal or strong exhaustion signs
    • Stop behind 4969 is ideal
    • Safe target is 4998, stretch is 5007, 3rd stretch is 5016 but you must guarantee 15 pts of profit
  8. ~4950
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for some buying and that the bear move so far was just a pullback on the weekly timeframe
    • This could also be ~ end of day move, to hold ON
    • Stop behind 4949 is ideal
    • If you are holding this ON then target 4994, but progressively move stop up to secure profits / protect yourself

Psychology goals for the day
  • 0 FOMO trades - Today might be a slow day and there's the chance that you take 0 trades. This is ok, it's a new year and you want to start it off strong with some well executed trades, don't let FOMO cloud your judgment
  • 0 Emotional trades - Same as above
  • Engage deliberate thinking in all trades - We aren't in a market where you have a splits econd to make a decision, range has been low as well as volumes, plus we stay in areas for a decent amount of time
  • Do not get greedy with trades - We could have a very low range day here, so being greedy can turn your small winners into losers
  • Set alarms and walk away during non-critical periods. I think I might do this for the opening session as well, I'm not seeing any signs that we will see a strong opening either way (30+pts one way from the first 30 minutes)
  • Maximum of 3 trades a day. only take a 3rd trade if you'd still be up 0.75%. Do not look at P&L to calculate this exactly, just get a good feel for it
  • All trades must be part of plan / scenarios / setups. You have a bit of leeway with setup #1, but don't confuse that for 'do anything you want'. You are looking for it to fit a specific scenario
  • Do not look at P&L
  • No trading while the market is flat. See that 5014-5003 area? it's the no trade zone today

Let's do this!

Thanked by:

SoftSoap 
Canada

No trades taken today. Only areas that were hit were the all-time high but every time we hit it I didn't see enough signs that we would either break out or reverse. So I passed up on all 4 different occasions that my alarms went off.

The only setup today in my plan that would've been profitable is a long at 5005, but I wasn't going to take an entry higher than 5002 tbh and we never got quite there.

• 0 FOMO trades - Today might be a slow day and there's the chance that you take 0 trades. This is ok, it's a new year and you want to start it off strong with some well executed trades, don't let FOMO cloud your judgment- Passed
  • 0 Emotional trades - Same as above- Passed
  • Engage deliberate thinking in all trades - We aren't in a market where you have a splits econd to make a decision, range has been low as well as volumes, plus we stay in areas for a decent amount of time- Passed
  • Do not get greedy with trades - We could have a very low range day here, so being greedy can turn your small winners into losers
  • Do not break any golden or silver risk management rules- Passed
  • Set alarms and walk away during non-critical periods. I think I might do this for the opening session as well, I'm not seeing any signs that we will see a strong opening either way (30+pts one way from the first 30 minutes)- Passed
  • Maximum of 3 trades a day. only take a 3rd trade if you'd still be up 0.75%. Do not look at P&L to calculate this exactly, just get a good feel for it- Passed
  • All trades must be part of plan / scenarios / setups. You have a bit of leeway with setup #1, but don't confuse that for 'do anything you want'. You are looking for it to fit a specific scenario
  • Do not look at P&L- Passed
  • No trading while the market is flat. See that 5014-5003 area? it's the no trade zone today- Passed

Rest of the goals I never got a chance to either pass or fail them.

See you tomorrow!

SoftSoap 
Canada

• We are on a 5 day "bull trend day" streak
  • Low range day yesterday and we are currently inside of yesterday's range
  • Range 19/47 ATR
  • 14 day VPOC at ~4935
  • 14 VA between 4980 and 4880
  • Set to open at new all-time high open
  • New all-time high was established yesterday - 5029.50
  • Only news is JOLTS @ 10
  • BIDU up 1.3% pre open
  • YHOO up 1.2% pre open
  • DB down 2.3% pre open

The prep for today is similar to yesterday's apart from a couple of # changes

Scenarios
  1. Open up slightly bull until we get to all-time high area. Won't break area on contaact but will move down to ON low or 5000. We will continue the bull rally from there
  2. Open up bear slightly until we find a support zone, continue bull trend from there
  3. Open up bull until we find a strong resistance zone, pullback on first contact and then continue bull trend after that
  4. Open up bull until we find a strong resistance zone, pullback and then reverse the trend
  5. Open up bull until we find a strong resistance zone, we start to see a weekly time frame pullback, which would mean that we trend bear for the rest of the day or until we are in the 4900s again
  6. Open up with some aggressive selling until we find a strong support zone in the 4900s
  7. Range between 5030 and 5000 for the day

Setups I'll take today

1. ~5050
    • LF Short
    • We could see some signs of slowing ~ this milestone area
    • Do not enter thsi preemptively, only if some strong reversal signs are there
    • Stop behind 5051 is a must
    • Safe target is 5033, stretch is 5014, 4th stretch is 5003, 5th stretch is 4983(only if swing and something has fundamentally changed)
  2. ~5030
    • LF Long
    • Continued break out
    • Stop behind 5025 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5044, stretch is 5048
    • Be careful that we don't see the same thing as yesterday where we go above this 5-10 points, but then come back down as you will lose a break out and a reversal trade if this happens
  3. ~5030
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for reversal signs here
    • Exhaustion can be good enough but only if it's higher time frame exhaustion
    • Stop behind 5033 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5016,s tretch is 5011, 3rd stretch is 5006, 4th stretch can go lower but only if you are willing to hold it as a swing and if something has fundamentally changed
    • Be careful that we don't see the same thing as yesterday where we go above this 5-10 points, but then come back down as you will lose a break out and a reversal trade if this happens
  4. ~5000
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for strong buying around here
    • Stop behind 4995 is ideal, behind 4999 is a must
    • Safe target is 5014, stretch is 5019, 3rd stretch is 5024, 4th stretch is time based if we are in a bull trend day but you must guarantee 15 pts of profit to go for it
  5. ~5000
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for a breakdown trade here
    • Be careful not to take a pre break down trade
    • Safe target is 4983, stretch is 4976, 3rd stretch is 4961
  6. ~4975
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for the continued break down
    • If the market sees a strong daily correction, then you can scale in with a 2nd contract here and aim for the ~4960-4952 area
  7. ~4975
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for signs of a reversal or strong exhaustion signs
    • Stop behind 4969 is ideal
    • Safe target is 4998, stretch is 5007, 3rd stretch is 5016 but you must guarantee 15 pts of profit

• 0 FOMO trades - You did well yesterday with this so let's keep the momentum going
  • 0 Emotional trades
  • Engage deliberate thinking in all trades - No need to rush here
  • Abide by your trade management standard
  • Maximum of 3 trades a day. Only take a 3rd if you'd still be up 0.75% despite a loss
  • All trades must be part of plan / scenarios / setups.
  • Do not look at P&L
  • No trading while the market is flat

Thanked by:

SoftSoap 
Canada

No trades taken today. Market was nicer than yesterday but still quite low range and low-ish volume. Hopefully we see things picking up in the next couple of days.

4 trade opportunities today. I missed 1 by 1 point, I passed on two, and was shoveling snow for the other

Here's the trade I just missed an entry on.

Here's the 2 trades I consciously passed up on.

• 0 FOMO trades - You did well yesterday with this so let's keep the momentum going- Passed
  • 0 Emotional trades- Passed
  • Engage deliberate thinking in all trades - No need to rush here- Passed
  • Do not break any golden or silver risk management rules- Passed
  • Set alarms and walk away during non-critical periods- Passed
  • Maximum of 3 trades a day. Only take a 3rd if you'd still be up 0.75% despite a loss- Passed
  • All trades must be part of plan / scenarios / setups.
  • Do not look at P&L- Passed
  • No trading while the market is flat- Passed

One thing I struggle with when I go a couple of days without taking a trade is that I start to get impatient and I force trades. That's something I will put a strong emphasis on tomorrow, so that it doesn't happen.

See you tomorrow!

Thanked by:

SoftSoap 
Canada

• Opening up within yesterday's range
  • ON session low range
  • Balance between 5025 and 5040
  • 14/45 ATR on the daily
  • 44/130ATR on the weekly
  • We are still in this creeping bull HTF trend
  • It's boring and it doesn't leave that much room for someone like me to enter the market
  • The market will go through periods like this though, and the only you can do is trade well
  • Yesterday we saw more volatility than we had seen for a while, so that is a good sign
  • We saw a slight turnaround at ~5050, first point of reference as a resistance area
  • Only news is the EIA petroleum report. I don't notice big moves around this in the NQ but with nothing else to watch, we might see something
  • We are still above 14 day VA as well as 14 day VPOC
  • ESRX up 1.3% pre open
  • C down 1% pre open

Scenarios
  1. Open up bull to the 50 area, and we reverse from it for the rest of the day or until we hit ~5010, we then range between these 2 points
  2. Open up slightly bear until ~5025 area, then move up to ~5050 and pullback a bit, but continue creeping bull trend
  3. Open up slightly bull but won't break ON high of ~5040, we then move bear until we find a strong support zone at either 5010 or 5000, we continue the bull rally
  4. Balance between ON high and ON low and then break out of balance strongly one way, trend that way for the rest of the day

Setups I'll take today

1. ~5050
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for a break out here
    • You want to see force pushing this, because you want to see this continue
    • Stop behind 5047 is a must
    • Safe target is 5068, but you need to be extra dilligent with your trade management here as we don't have a good reference area as to what could be the next resistance zone
    • It's a bit scary to buy at new all time highs so if it makes you feel very uncomfortable then don't do it
  2. ~5050
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for a reversal trade here
    • Exhaustion isn't a good enough reason to enter this
    • Safe target is 5031, stretch is 5027
  3. ~5025
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for an absence of signs that things have changed, if that makes sense
    • Stop behind 5019 is ideal, but might not happen
    • Safe target is 50439, stretch is 5047
    • Don't hold higher than that unless you see strong force driving price up
  4. ~5025
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for a continued down trend here
    • Stop behind 5031 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5016, stretch is 5011
    • Not much in terms of potential reward here under these conditions, so be prepared to pass up on this if R/R isn't up to standard
  5. ~5010
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for strong signs of buying as we saw yesterday ~this area
    • Stop behind 5009 is a must
    • Safe target is 5024, stretch is 5034, 3rd stretch (potentially swing) is 5047 but guarantee 15 pts of profit to aim for it
  6. ~5000
    • LF Long
    • Stop behind 4995 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5017, stretch is 5024, 3rd stretch is to hold until ~5047 but guarantee 15 pts of profit and be prepared to hold ON

• 0 FOMO trades
  • 0 Emotional trades
  • Maximum of 3 trades today. You know the rule for a 3rd
  • Do not look at P&L
  • Additional goal just for today. Do not force trades or get impatient, it's okay to go even longer without taking a trade. Would you prefer to end the week with 0 trades taken and 0% or 3+ bad trades taken and -2%?

Thanked by:

SoftSoap 
Canada

Will edit in later this morning

SoftSoap 
Canada

• We had Trump speaking yesterday negative about pharma which added some volatility to the markets
  • 5010 held very strongly on 2 occasions
  • After that we moved strongly up to close at all time high records again
  • 5048.25 is new all time high
  • The constant higher closes and higher all time records indicate a bull rally with no brakes, but intraday we have seen some signs of a potential slowdown/pullback/reversal. We will see how corporate earnings impact this though
  • ON session was relatively bearish, although low range
  • Jobless claims came in lower than expected, but still within the consensus range
  • ADBE down 1.3%

Scenarios
  1. Continue bull rally to the 50 area, establish new highs but reverse after that. Balance between 5010/5000 and 5050 for the rest of the day
  2. Continue bull rally to the 50 area, we pull back and then move up and continue the bull rally above the 50 mark
  3. Continue the bear move from ON until we find a strong support zone, either at 25 or 10, then continue the bull rally after that
  4. Open up slightly bullish but don't get to the 50 area, we then move down strongly until 5010 area and potentially 5000 and even lower

Setups I'll take today

1. ~5050
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for a break out
    • Stop behind 5045 is ideal
    • Use trade management rules to help you re: target
  2. ~5050
    • LF Short
    • Safe target is 5033, stretch is 5026, 3rd stretch is 5018 but guarantee 18 pts of profit
  3. ~5025
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for a continued bear move here and you are looking for strength in the move
    • Stop behind 5030 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5016 so there's not a lot of room if you don't think this'll go below the 5010 mark, 2nd stretch i s 5007, 3rd stretch is 5003, 4th takes you down to at least the 4991 potentially the 4886/4883 area. But you need to guarantee 20 pts of profit
  4. ~5025
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for signs of a reversal
    • Stop behind 5025 is a must
    • Safe target is 5038, stretch is 5046, 3rd stretch is 5058 but be careful not to be greedy if the market doesn't call for it
  5. ~5010
    1. LF Long
    2. You are looking for strong reversal signs
    3. Stop behind 5009 is a must
    4. Safe target is 24, stretch is 34, 3rd stretch is 39, 4th stretch is 48 but guarantee 20 pts of profit
  6. ~5000
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for reversal signs
    • Stop behind 4995 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5014, stretch us 5024, 3rd stretch is 5038 but guarantee 15 pts of profit
  7. ~5000
    • LF Short
    • Safe target is 4986, stretch is 4982, 3rd stretch is 4976 but be careful not to get greedy

• 0 FOMO trades
  • 0 Emotional trades
  • Do not get greedy with your trades
  • Maximum of 3 trades today
  • Do not look at P&L

SoftSoap 
Canada

I've taken 2 trades so far but I'm feeling a bit angry and not in the right state of mind to trade. The first trade I took tilted me and one of my silver risk management rules is to walk away when I feel like this.

Here's the trade that tilted me

This made me mad.
2nd trade I've taken this year and I am starting to get impatient for a W. Being mostly right but wrong enough that you are no longer in a trade when it goes your way sucks. And it sucks even more when you've barely taken any trades.

Now I try to calm myself down and look to see if there's still an opportunity either as a reversal or as continuation.

There's mixed signals but they lean more towards the bear move continuing for 15-25 more pts, enough for me to get a good trade in.

Again I didn't get the best entry here.

Unfortunately I get stopped out.

I still think the market will move down to be honest, but my entry point didn't allow me to have my risk behind 5005 or else the R/R would be bad.

Oh well.

As I finish writing this I realized that I actually can't take a 3rd trade. Because right now I'm sitting about 1 pt in the negative. I can only take a 3rd trade if losing it would still leave me up 0.75% and that's not the case.

Thanked by:

SoftSoap 
Canada

• ON activity was relatively bearish as we saw a big swing down
  • VPOC @ 5020
  • Yesterday was a holiday so no movement / volume
  • We are still in this barely bull sideways market
  • Earnings season is here so we'll see how the market reacts as we start to get some earnings
  • No news today just some fed speakers, might or might not move the market
  • CELG down 1%
  • JPM down 1.5% as they beat earnings estimates
  • BAC down 1.3% released earnings yesterday but I've yet to read about them
  • More Trump effect news, GM moving jobs from Mexico to US

Scenarios
  1. Continue bear momentum from ON, pullback at ON low and then keep going down until ~5010 and possibly 5000
  2. Open up bear until ~ON Low, reverse either at the 5030 mark or ~5025, then continue the bull rally
  3. Open up bull until ~ AT high, then move bear for the rest of the day
  4. Continue the bull rally creeping slowly up

Setups I'll take

1. ~5060
    • LF Long
    • You are looking for a break out here and there needs to be strong momentum as we are in earnings season
    • Stop behind 5060 is a must
    • Safe target is hard to judge here, so use your trade management rules to protect yourself
  2. ~5060
    • LF Short
    • Strong exhaustion or reversal signs are good here
    • Stop behind 5065 is ideal
    • Safe target is ~5047, stretch is 5041, 3rd stretch is 5034 but guarantee 15 pts of profit
  3. ~5050
    • LF Short
    • You are looking for signs that we are in a pullback and the short-term bear move will continue
    • Stop behind 5053 (ON high) is ideal
    • Safe target is 5034, stretch is 5026, 3rd stretch is 5016 but guarantee 18 pts of profit to aim for it
    • You might be tempted to take a bull trade here if we slice through this, but don't as AT high is just ~10 pts above this
  4. ~5030
    • LF Long
    • That bear move ON? just jitters and we are still in a bull rally
    • Stop behind 5029 is a must
    • Safe target is 5043, stretch is 5047, 3rd stretch is 5057
  5. ~5030
    • LF Short
    • We are having a short term breakdown here
    • Stop behind 5033 is ideal
    • Not much room to go here so you want to make sure we are trending bear for a while
    • Target 5013
  6. ~5010
    • LF Long
    • Stop behind 5006 is ideal
    • Safe target is 5023, stretch is 5029, 3rd stretch is 5046 but you might have to hold ON

• 0 FOMO trades
  • 0 Emotional trades
  • Do not get greedy with your trades
  • Maximum of 3 trades today
  • Do not look at P&L

Thanked by:

Last Updated on September 4, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts