NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Poseidons 5 min ES Journal

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one poseidon with 250 posts (222 thanks)
    2. looks_two Comeback King with 9 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 aquarian1 with 6 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 patrader65 with 6 posts (11 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Northernlimit with 4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two patrader65 with 1.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Comeback King with 1.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 poseidon with 0.9 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 36,303 views
    2. thumb_up 293 thanks given
    3. group 24 followers
    1. forum 296 posts
    2. attach_file 194 attachments

Search this Thread

Poseidons 5 min ES Journal

Comeback King 
Tampa, FL/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Trading: NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 191
Thanks Received: 382

That's two big days in a row...congratulations.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Quantum physics & Trading dynamics
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Cheap historycal L1 data for stocks
Stocks and ETFs
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: IB
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 266
Thanks Received: 267

News
Before opening:
No important news.

After opening:
No important news.

Sentiment (GMT +1: 15:00 / EST: 9:00 AM)
Europe: neutral
Asia: neutral
Oil: neutral
Gold: neutral
Bonds: down

Sentiment is neutral

Higher TF charts and ON
Daily chart: We are in a PB after ATH and a H2 has triggered. We have traded sideways for the last 6 days with both buy- and sell signal bars. Likely TTR.

120 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR. Possible 1 month broad bear channel

30 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR. Possible bull wedge PB.

Overnight: Overnight has tested prior session high and is trading on normal relative volume.

Scenarios (blue), S/R-levels (pink) and Targets (green)

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

Trade 1 (BoPb, short): -2,0 points
Reasons for taking the trade:
- Bear OG + big bear trend bar (= bear spike)
- Micro Wedge PB
- Possible HoD

Trade Plan:
SL: 2 points
Target (support at 2336,50): 9 points
RR-Ratio: 4,5

Comment: Not OK. Bad planning and bad execution. I deliberately tried to get in early after opening, but this entry was premature. The anticipated baer spike was actually a bear channel from the ON session and the PB was too weak. But the main misstake was the lack of resistance.
During my pre-session analysis I failed to notice the bear channel that started at the ON high and was trading on normal relative volume. Usually patterns from the ON session don't seem to be well respected, but a channel is a strong pattern and the Channel Trend Line would have provided guidence for a appropriate entry price.
Futhermore I did enter on a stop order below the Micro Wedge with 2 point SL although the signal bar was larger than 2 points. Secondly this was likely a limitorder market at the time.

Trade 2 (S/R -Rev, long): -2,0 points
- TICK divergence at support
- HL (=2nd entry)
- 2 legs down below VWAP - 2 SD

Trade Plan:
Target: > 10 points
RR-Ratio: > 5

Commnet: OK entry. This feelt like a high probabilty entry at the time. I saw that this may look like a bear channel and that there were a lot of bear bars, so I waited for a 2nd entry and entered on a limit order at resistance so that my SL would have room for a minor LL trend reversal. But it turned out to be a LL major trend reversal.

Trade 3 (PB, short): 0,0 points
- PB at reisstance
- Retest of channel low was expected after obvious TL break
- Strong signal bar (= bear reversal bar)

Trade Plan:
Target (support): 4,5 points
RR-Ratio: 2,25

Comment: OK entry. But the target appeared to be incorrect since my support level was too low.

Trade 4 (BO, short): -2,25 points
- BO from big bear wedge PB
- LH
- Possible MM (based on bear channel during first 2,5 hours from opening)
- big BO bar

Trade Plan:
SL: 2,25 points
Target (support): 6,0 points
RR-Ratio: 2,7

Comment: Not OK. Several misstakes:
- The most serious misstake was that I took this trade although I already had ended my trading session for the day. I came back from dinner and saw this perfect wedge pattern and couldn't resist the temptation to enter. And I guess that it also was a desire to not end the day with a loss.

- To take a BO trade late in the day is not part of my trading plan. Big moves are less likely late in the day and besides Monday and Tuesday had rather wide ranges, thus today was less likely to be another wide range day.

- I did enter on the BO since I did miss the correct entry point that would have been below the HL. The big bear BO bar (that completed the LH) was a supprise and didn't offer any opportunity to enter on a stop order below a bear signal bar. The smart traders did anticiapte this and had already placed there stop oder below the HL in case of a BO. They managed to get out BE or with a small profit. I did a FOMO misstake.

Hindsight Thoughts
This was a bad day with 2 big entry misstakes. Especially the last trade annoys me. And I also did miss two important things in my pres-session preparation, the pre-market bear channel and the resistance level around 2338.

I will take a break over Easter and not trade on Thursday. So no new posts until Monday. Happy Easter to everyone!

Comeback King 
Tampa, FL/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Trading: NQ, ES
Thanks Given: 191
Thanks Received: 382

Happy Easter and enjoy the break.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

News
Before opening:
No important news

After opening:
No important news

Gold: down
Bonds: neutral

Sentiment is neutral

Higher TF charts and ON
Daily chart: We are in a PB after ATH and a H2 has triggered. We have traded sideways for the last 8 days with both buy- and sell signal bars. TR.

120 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR. Possible 1 month broad bear channel. Thursday did hit MM target (based on April 4th bear spike).

30 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR.

Overnight: Overnight has tested prior session low, but has then moved higher on relative low volume after a news event. So the move up may be faded on the opening.

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

Trade 1 (Orev, short): -2 points
- Opening reversal at resistance
- Signal bar (2 bar reversal)
- The move up during ON was on low volume, so possible correction

Trade Plan
Target > 10 points
RR-Ratio: >5

Comment: OK entry. When I saw that the bear BO didn't get any FT I tried to get out at BE, but price never hit the order. But still OK management.

Trade 2 (S/R-Rev, short): 0 points
- TICK divergence at resistance
- 2 legs up
- HH

Trade Plan
Target (support): 6 points
RR-Ratio: 3

Comment: OK entry.

Trade 3 (S/R-Rev, short): -2 points
- DT + LH at resistance
- strong signal bar

Trade Plan
Target (support): 5 points
RR-Ratio: 2,5

Comment: Not OK entry.
- This was another trade that I did take although I already quit my session for the day and left the screen.
- At this point I could anticipate that the reversal at my resistance level maybe wasn't the most likely direction for the day. Price could very well continue to trade within the current tight TR into the close or there could be a MM up based on the first bull leg and the tight TR.
- My intention was to enter on a stop order below the strong bear bar (that wouldn't have been triggered) but by misstake I did enter on a market order. My biggest mistake though, was not to exit immediately.

Hindsight Thoughts
This was a difficult day. The higher TF context was TR but the 5 min price action was more like trend with consecutive trend bars and little overlap. I can't see any obvious entry that I did miss today.

Thanked by:

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

News
Before opening:
- Housing Starts (neutral)
- Industrial Production (neutral)

After opening:
No important news

Asia: neutral/down
Bonds: neutral

Sentiment is neutral

Higher TF charts and ON
Daily chart: We are in a PB after ATH and a H2 has triggered. We have traded sideways for the last 3 weeks with both buy- and sell signal bars. Yesterday was a bull reversal bar that may trigger a bull trend.

120 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR. Possible broad bear channel. Thursday did hit MM target (based on April 4th bear spike).

30 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR.

Overnight: Overnight has made a new HH on low rel. volume, but has then moved lower.

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

Trade 1 (PB, long): -1,0 point
- Strong BO
- Strong support (Confluence of VWAP, 60 min EMA20, YD TR high =2340,5)

Trade Plan
SL: 1 point
Target (resistance): 6,75 points
RR-Ratio: 6,75

Comment: Questionable entry. High RR, strong bull momentum and PB at support, but also failed BO and strong bear opening reversal. Obvious arguments for both the bull- and bear case and thus I should have passed this entry.

Trade 2 (PB, short): -0,75 point
- Strong bear opening reversal + BO
- Micro DT PB to support

Trade Plan
Target (resistance): 5,0 points

Comment: OK entry, since the SL took into consideration a possible PB to VWAP.

Trade 3 (PB, long): -1,75 point
- DB bull flag
- support

Trade Plan
Target (resistance): 6,5 points
RR-Ratio: 3,25

Comment: Not OK entry.
- When the big bull spike was reversed by the big bear spike (BUBD) I should have anticipated the TR. And thus no bull flag or bear flag in the middle of the range were high probability entries.
- I did enter on a stop order above VWAP to make sure that I didn't enter into resistance, but I did, since there was a resistance level just above VWAP.

Trade 4 (S/R-Rev. long): -2.0 point
- Support
- 2nd leg + MM-target hit
- Final Flag (FF)

Trade Plan
Target (resistance): 5 points

Commnet: Not OK entry. The trade plan was ok, except for the premature entry on a limit order at support before any bottom formation. Bear momentum was strong and the one bar FF was obviously not sufficient. This was a FOMO misstake. I was afraid that price would just touch the support level and then reverse. But this is rarely the case when momentum is strong, the reversal usually requires a bottom formation with several bars.

Hindsight Thoughts
This was another losing day and three out of four entries were not in agreement with my trading plan. I must improve this somehow. The good thing is that I feel confident with my method and my ability to find relevant S/R-levels.

Todays misstakes
Trade1: I did not properly consider the arguments for the opposite side before my entry. I do this misstake frequently and it is likely because I feel that I'm in a hurry. This has to stop.
Action: From now on I will start to note the entry reasons for both sides before any entry decision is made.

Trade 3: There were several misstakes about this entry decision but the main misstake was my inability to apply my knoweledge of price action to asses the kind of day. I only saw the big BO and prepared for the directional continuation. I missed the obvious BUBD (Big Up, Big Down) pattern that usually leads to TR. And futhermore I forgot the higher TF context that was TR. A reliable trend day would have required a BO of the prior days range. Only 1 out of 5 trading days are trend days and since yesterday was a wide range day the probability for a small range day was increased. The rational would have been to expect a TR day until proven othterwise by a BO of prior days range or three or more consecutive strong BO:s.
Action: From now on I will include the arguments for a TR-Day vs a Trend-Day (based on the higher TF charts) in my pre-session preparation notes. During the session I will also start to more frequently answer the questions:
- What are the arguments for a TR-Day?
- What are the arguments for a Trend-Day?
- What is required for this day to turn into a trend day?

Trade4: I didn't wait for a reliable bottom formation although this was a reversal entry with rather strong momentum. This was an unneccessary misstake and it was most likley due to the dissapointment after three losing trades. Normally I would have stopped trading after three losing trades, but since I managed to keep the losses of the first two trades small I thought I may take another last trade. This will not be repeted. My session ends after three losing trades (BE trades not included).

Thanked by:

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

News
Before opening:
No important news

After opening:
No important news

Bonds: down

Sentiment is neutral

Higher TF charts and ON
Daily chart: We are in a PB after ATH and a H2 has triggered. We have traded sideways for the last 3 weeks with both buy- and sell signal bars. Yesterday was a bear inside bar. That increases the chance for a BO and a wide range day.

120 min. chart (ETH): Most likely TR. Possible broad bear channel. We are close to the monthly VWAP.

30 min. chart (ETH): Bear channel or possible TR. Market has respected the bear TL during the last two weaks.

Overnight: Overnight has traded higher in a channel on low rel. volume and failed to test YD high by 2 ticks. This test was the largest overshoot off the bear TL so far.

Type of Day:
- Daily bar: inside bar = increased chance for a BO and a wide range day
- Higher TF context: Market is trading in the mid of a TR on the daily chart and the 2 month 120 min chart. Market may be in a broad bear channel since two weeks on the 30 min chart. We are at the high of the channel and the overshoot during ON may be reversed at the opening.

poseidon 
Stockholm, Sweden

Trade 1 (Orev, short): -0,5 points
- Opening reversal at resistance (Monthly VWAP)
- Signal bar (2 bar reversal)
- TCL overshoot of bull cahnnel from ON
- Possible high of day

Trade Plan
Target: > 10 points
RR-Ratio: > 5

Comment: OK entry, but I did exit when the 2 bar reversal was followed by a weak bull revesal bar. Somewhat cautious decision but OK since there were strong bull arguments (ON bull channel may continue, support level right below, possible BO PB H1 or H2)

Trade 2 (BoPb, short): +2,5 points
- PB to resistance (+ VWAP) after strong bear leg
- Signal bar (strong bear reversal bar)
- MTR of ON bull channel (TCL overshoot + TL break + LH at resistance)

Trade Plan
Target (MM target of first bear leg): 5 points

Comment: OK entry. I did anticipate this trade and waited paitently for it. I noticed the strong bear move and decided to increase my target to the next support level. Unfortunately I did also narrow my SL 1 tick to much and was stopped out on the PB.

Hindsight Thoughts
No entry misstakes at all today, feels lika a small piece of progress. My new routine to note entry arguments for both directions before I enter a trade makes me feel much more confident about my entry decisions.

Today was a bear trend day but the channel was weak and difficult to forsee until late in the day. Although it was triggered by a MTR of the ON bull channel, the relative volume was low and it looked as if the market would reverse at any support level. This was more likely a bear leg in a higher TF TR than a bear trend.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on July 26, 2017

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts